Reach of current building regulations

In which case just get on and do it either with or without Building Regs approval. Personally I'd say screw the BCO, as Regs Approval in this case does nothing but cost you money you could spend on extra insulation, or a jigger pick, or skip hire, or a concrete pump or a whole multitude of more useful things.

Forget skimming with Ardex as it only makes a smooth surface and does bugger all insulation wise. I used it in my workshop and it's hard wearing but with a knackered lossy concrete floor in the house it's not a solution apart from where you might wish to level a floor out for laying vinyl tiles.

A proper DPC, insulation and a smooth floor will transform comfort and contribute towards saving a fortune in heating costs.

Paying the BCO will do nothing but lighten your wallet

Reply to
Matt

The message from Matt contains these words:

One of the many things that has me dithering is what floor coverings are compatible with solid floor under floor heating. Anything will act as an insulator to some extent and a nice thick carpet of even the mat under a floating floor will have a considerable effect.

Floor losses are small compared with what I lose through my uninsulated (2 ft thick stone) walls and the dubious rubbish in the sloping roof. (Most of the house lacks a loft. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what those railway lines [3 purlins and a ridge pole] are doing above me. :-))

Too true and it is a light enough wallet to start with.

Reply to
Roger