Re: Tricky Heck!

On my normal hammer drill, the whole chuck assembly goes in and out.

I reckon SDS works better in 3 ways:-

The lower mass of the drill against a drill/chuck combination makes the impact greater even if the 'hammer' were the same. The impact mechanism is better - a hammer drill uses a ramp mechanism, and there's a limit to the acceleration that can be achieved. IIRC, SDS uses a pneumatic system. The SDS bit can't slip even slightly in a rotary direction.

Feel free to add or subtract. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yeah, the little guy inside an SDS drill is a lot stronger than the ones they put inside an ordinary drill, and they've got bigger hammers. They're that hard, that they eat masonry dust and drink molten grease. That's why the British ones are a lot better than most of the foreign makes. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Excellent point. Had to laugh at yet more powerful, sorry yet more cells,

30V cordless keyless chuck drill being demoed live on QVC a week or so ago. Couldn't drill the concrete or cast iron because the bit kept sticking even after attempt at really tightening chuck. Quick cut to VT. A mid-range SDS drill can be had for about the same cost.

Alan

Reply to
Alan James

I bought the Bosch and I'm well pleased with it. I find the slow start is useful but others makes may have this too. It's heavier than my old B&D hammer but has two handles so overall I find it better to work with. It's reversible so I even used it as a screwdriver when flooring the loft.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

In message , BigWallop writes

Great, thanks. It did look too good to be true - SDS drill and various accessories for twenty five quid.

Reply to
Graeme

Well you do have to start dropping those hints early.... ;)

And especially if 'er indoors needs to so some secretive research to find out exactly what an SDS drill is all about.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

And talking about 'er indoors I should add that it would probably be a good idea to keep the SDS drill under lock and key. My wife decided she needed a pair of pliers to tighten up a small nut, so I wasn't around and she found a pair in my toolbox.

Unfortunately she figured that my sharpest pair of electronic sidecutters was what she was after. Blunted the edges of those sidecutters. Grr.....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Heh heh - I remember my mother deciding to lift the stair carpet for the decorators. It was held on by those flip down brackets at either side of each tread, but she wanted the treads painted behind them. And used my 'best' screwdriver. Which was my best wood chisel.

In case you're wondering why she just didn't ask me or father to do it - he was at work and I was at school. And nothing waited for mother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Gripfill John" wrote | Oh-Oh, It's only just July and we have our first mention of Sant.... | can't even bring myself to say it!

QVC's telly guide (stars 30th June) lists a full day of C'mas Shop on Thursday 24th July.

Best get those requests for useful presents in early before the present budget is all spent on a George Foreman Electric Sock Press or whatever it is they'll be selling.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Dave Plowman writes

She was prolly getting you back for the time you destroyed her best dressmaking scissors when you were a kid

Reply to
geoff

I can better that one! When I was young (I suppose about 12) our next door neighbour popped round and asked if he could borrow a chisel. Dad was in the RAF so wasn't around, so without thinking further I sorted out a nice wood chisel from Dads toolbox.

The next day the neighbour returned the chisel which looked as though it might have seen better days. The neighbour explained that he'd managed to knock down his brick-partitioned parlour and thanked me for loaning the chisel. Obviously he'd wanted a cold chisel, not a wood chisel.

I was not popular with Dad when he found out :)