Re: The total bullshit that these bastards produce

[1] Anyone know if I can fit a simple energy controller from an

> electric cooker to control a 2~3kW panel heater? I'm fairly sure I > can, but if anyone's actually done it, it would be nice to hear of it. > Dimplex don't supply much in the way of spares for their older models > and frankly, the original control was/is shit. I have two panel > heaters, one still works, one's got a dead control.

Not quite sure how that would be any better than a simple thermostat - perhaps a remote one rather than part of the rad? Pretty well 100% of the electricity the rad consumes is turned into heat, so how it is controlled make little difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but if you could variably control the output so that it was what the room needed to maintain the temperature, it would probably be more comfortable than the simple ON or OFF normally used.

Reply to
charles

Yes, a simmerstat will work but, as Harry says, watch the power - cooker rings are 2kW max. I've used simmerstats on other applications but never

power or temperature.

Reply to
PeterC

The one with the so-called 'working' control shoots straight up to max and eventually decided to start working as a temp controller after I'd cycled it through a timer many times.

15mins on, 45mins off, for a few hours. It's still not fixed, as the contacts are well shagged and I'm just not impressed with the shonky design and construction of it internally. The rad itself is perfectly fine - got years of life in it yet; these things hardly ever break, just let down by crappy controllers.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Cheers chaps. I'll give it a go later. I have a new simmerstat kicking around somewhere, need to see what rating it is. I can also fit a clip-on stat to the heater body and an overheat stat to bring the things up to some sort of safer later spec. The equivalent model now is selling for 150quid, but has much better controls on it. I don't know what the output of these are - likely a minimum of 2kW going by what they belt out at full-on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm in the process of cobbling together a Honeywell DT90E stat with a remot= e controlled socket to provide wirefree control of a convector heater in a = conservatory. The stat employs their 'Time Proportional & Integral' functio= nality so it'll be interesting to see how accurately it manages to hold a t= emperature. Unlike on my central heating I'll be setting the cycle time and= min on/off period as short as possible.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I'll have a look, ta.