re soldering solder joint

Something like this:

Warning ASCII art follows, switch to mono paced font:

  • = stranded wire
++++ -------========== pipe coupling -------========== ++++

The stranded wire wicks the solder around the joint and holds it in place.

Reply to
bof

sounds the ticket!! It does sound as if it will work :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Hmm, perhaps.

If you are tempted to try this bodge, then perhaps a few wraps of copper de-soldering braid would be a good thing to try in place of the wire. It would lie flat, and provide a good wick for the copious amounts of solder that would be involved.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

thanks, will let you all know how I get on :-0

Reply to
Staffbull

In message , Ron Lowe writes

Good thinking, it's also loaded to the gunnels with flux

That's a very good idea (as bodges go)

Reply to
geoff

That was my initial thought - if it's hard to access that joint then cut out a yard or two of pipe so that you can make joints in more convenient places.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Ron Lowe writes

It worked here and never leaked in the years it was in place. And saved what would have been a hell of a job stripping out and remaking the leaking connection.

And . . . Your news reader seems to have stripped all the multiple spaces out of the ASCII art, out of curiosity, are you reading in HTML??

Reply to
bof

Ah, well. Worse things happen at sea, as they say.

No, plain text, ( fixed spacing font when viewing ascii art ). It's no doubt an oddity of how OE / WinMail handles the quoting. .

No doubt there will follow the usual ritual debunking of OE / Winmail for it's various failings, and the usual evangalising and counter-evangilising by people who have strong feelings about their own prefered newsreader. ( This is always reminscient of The Life of Brian: The Judean Peoples Front scene.. ) Carry on.

For my part, I just don't care. It's just not important enough for me to get up any head of steam about. Sorry.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

cant do that, or dont want to, it enters the wall to tavel down to the rad immediatley after the joint, so I'd have to hack and re plaster a portion, dont really want to do that if I can help it.

Reply to
Staffbull

Agree with all of that. Also, I was given a good tip once. Thoroughly clean the ends of the fitting with a file, really clean the pipe, then just before you heat it scratch round the pipe with a sharpened nail. That gives a really good basis for the solder to 'wet' and flow. Phil

Reply to
PhilB

update!! It DIDNT work !!! thanks for trying though:-)

Removed old solder joint cleaned up (long time----- as no access!!) new joint cut further along new straight coupler and a straight piece of 10mm in between, now seems OK :-) heating's on bled and no leak :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

One thing that can be useful in situations like this is that there are couplers available that do not have the centre depression and will thus slip along the pipe. The pipe can be cut at a different place and the slip coupling slid along. Then the other joint can easily be reassembled and the slip coupling moved back. These are certainly available in end feed and may be in solder ring as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall