Re: Removing a tree

A friend of mine has asked the following:

> > "Anyone any idea what would be a good price for getting a tree in the wrong > place removed? > > > This particular one started off as a weed, growing in the crack between the > path and the wall of the house, and took hold while I wasn't watching. I can > now hack it back and hack it back but it has kept growing back and I can't > get it out. > > > Apparently it's an elder, and I'm being quoted 65 quid plus vat - does this > sound reasonable to anyone?" > > The work for which she was quoted - by a tree surgeon - involves again > hacking the growth back to the ground and applying a systemic poison to kill > the plant for good. It's only a couple of feet high, but in a very awkward > spot. > > My own view is that the cost is probably pretty average for the work > required, given that a call out fee probably applies even if very little > work is involved and tree surgeons in her area are quite busy and hard to > find. However, I would have thought it a DIY job, provided one can find an > appropriate weedkiller. But my friend is the world's worst at DIY (partly > because she has very little sight). > > Any views, please - including any recommendations on what might be an > effective weedkiller? > > Thanks, > > Barbara > >

Spray it well with Tumbleweed and watch it die over the next two weeks. Right down to the roots.

Reply to
BigWallop

Saw it off at ground level, then paint the stump with 'stump and brush killer' from any good hardware shop, garden centre or shed. It won't survive.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Many thanks, guys - I'm pass all those ideas on to her.

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

Go to your local petrol station and fill a container with a litre of diesel. Pour this in the crack and it will kill the tree and prevent anything from ever growing there again.

Reply to
Mark

Particularly effective on unwanted leylandii :-)

Reply to
BillR

Reply to
Martin

Oh yeah...and watch where you throw your cigarette butts for a while!!

Reply to
Mark

You're prefectly entitled to cut off any of it which overhangs your property provided that you give them (or at least offer) what was cut off.

If all the affected gardens did the same, the unbalancing effect on what remained might be quite interesting.

Dunno, I'd do it myself.

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Diesel doesn't burn unless atomised or in a "wick"....you could throw a butt in a bucket full of diesel and it wouldn't burn. In fact, I recently used an angle grinder to cut an underground heating oil line that was being removed...bit smelly, but no explosion...

mark

"Simon Avery" wrote

I've passed your messages to my friend who will try DIY. She already has some Tumbleweed so will try that.

She's even planning to repair the small crack herself when she's got rid of the plant. I recently persuaded her to buy a small bag of cement mix so we could tackle another job together, so she already has that.

She's not unwilling to try - just lacking confidence, knowledge and the relevant skills. I've bought her a DIY manual for her next birthday!

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara