Re: Problems with double dimmer

Hi all. I have a double dimmer switch in my living room. It is the

> nice brushed steel flatplate type. The problem is, it keeps blowing!!! > > I am not an electrician or anything, but I have wired them exactly the > way it was wired originally (with a standard double on/off light > switch) > > The first switch controls the ceiling light which has four spotlights > (all dimmable according to the box) and each bulb is 60w (240w total) > and the second switch controls the wall lights (2 * 60w bulbs) > > The first time it blew, the dimmer had been fitted for about a month. > The wall lights just went off, so I put a standard light switch in the > dimmers place and the wall lights worked again. I took the switch back > and exchanged it. Wired it back up and all was fine again. Then > another month or so down the line, the ceiling light went off and this > time it blew the fuse for the downstairs lights! > > These switches are from B&Q by the way. Am I overpowering the switches > or something? Can someone help?!!! > > Thanks.

What is the load rating on the dimmers ? If they are rated to take 240 volts at 500 Watts or something, then they are not very good at the job and I'd advise you to go for a better make which should last a bit longer.

If the dimmers are only rated to take 240 Volts at 100 Watts, then your overloading them.

Reply to
BigWallop