Re: Planning ahead for possible 4kWp solar panel array...... what cable size should I lay?

> taking your point about the inverter not being in the loft, the only >

> When we had our 4kW solar array installed 3 years ago, I got quotes from > (in the end) 5 different firms. Two (maybe 3) insisted that the inverter > had to be in the loft as you lose too much power from long runs of DC > cabling. This is simply not true: my panels are in two strings and the > peak voltage is over 300 V, so the current is, if anything, lower on the > DC side than the AC side. So I was able to eliminate these firms from the > running right away as having a totally inadequate grasp of Ohm's law. > > Also, as others have said, a hot location is undesirable, and you want to > have the inverter accessible to admire the pretty lights and check the > dials now and again. > > We have our inverter in the garage on a side wall which is entirely > suitable - they don't take up much space and at worse hum very gently when > working hard.

The inverter wants to be somewhere cool, dry and dust free. One of mine is in the garage too. The other is in a well ventilated garden shed. Electronic stuff doesn't like the heat.

There are some inverters rated for outdoors. I have heard a couple of bad stories though.

Reply to
harryagain