Re: OT Stoptober

Well many people seem to reckon that they need some crutch like patches or

>sweetie things to tail off. There are two problems, one is the hand habit >and the other the addiction, trying to tackle both at once is too much for >some people.

It's funny, both my wives (one at a time) smoked when I met them (even though I was a non-smoker) and both gave up just_like_that when we knew we were becoming an item.

My mother was one.

My Dad smoked the odd cigar (that made me feel sick, especially in the car) but most of my family and friends are non-smokers so that helped.

Luckily I never started.

And I think it is 'lucky' ('A Good Thing') especially these days with as many pressures being put on smokers both where they can smoke and the cost (they know the health risks). It was a cool thing to do when I was a lad (some of my mates did) but luckily being 'in' or 'cool' have never been priorities to me.

I believe I've >probably taken in so much second hand smoke I could be in danger. Same here. ;-(

I have always tried to be very supportive of anyone trying to give up ... supplying them with mints or whatever they found suitable as a distraction. Sometimes it worked but I think it's one of those things where you really have to *want* to stop yourself.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

SWMBO changed to a pipe (thus smoking less because it was such a faff). I was hosting a lot of posh dinners in those days, and people were told they could smoke towards the end of the dinner. It was fun watching people's faces when she extracted the pipe etc. from her bag.

She gave up when we were trying to start a family. Went on a Continental coach trip with friends and just took nothing to smoke with her.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've known enough people that smoked all their lives and died from something else to conclude that some people are more susceptible than others. I love tobacco but have been without for 4 years now. I never "gave up", and I may start again....just not today

Reply to
stuart noble

That's an interesting technique. ;-)

And why not (apart from it being 'those days' etc).

Sounds more expensive than patches but if it worked. ;-)

I suppose the nearest I could get to understanding what it must be like to give up smoking would be if I needed to give up beer. That said, I don't think it would be an issue because although I might have a (single) can most nights, I sometimes go for weeks without and it would only be from boredom of just drinking tea, coffee and cordials.

I did try smoking ... as a fairly young lad ... by getting all the dog ends from one of the parents canasta nights and rolling them up in some Izal toilet paper (like some slippery roach). I didn't 'get it' so never bothered again. ;-)

The Mrs had smoked 20 a day from age 15 to when I met her aged 37. Like I said, we had the 'you know none of my family smoke ...' (and no one has ever smoked in my house the 40 odd years I've been here) chat and she took the packet out of her bag and ripped them in half. I think it was the excuse she was waiting for.

Shame her Mum didn't follow suit ... watching her slowly dying on breathing apparatus was enough of a reminder to me why smoking wasn't a 'good idea'.

And that raises a question ... Imagine the idea of someone trying to sell the idea of smoking to say the Dragons Den today:

'So do I understand you correctly ... you take some dried leaves, roll them up into a tube and then set fire to the end and suck the smoke into your lungs ... ?'

I'm out. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'll say 'well done' because to me the whole concept is bizarre and I know you *will be* better off without (even though the cost, the reduced fire risk and other 'risks' as judged by insurance companies etc).

Previously I would also have said 'good' because there would be less chance of having to tolerate (or not) the side smoke or just smell of smoke, but not it's pretty well banned everywhere I'm likely to be, I don't have to worry (*my* social life was very much restricted because of the habit of a minority).

And may it stay that way. ;-)

But like I have said, I do have *some* sympathy with those who for whatever reason got caught up in the whole smoking thing at an early age (and in the days when it wasn't a well advertised as to what the risks were [1]). *Personally*, I had the same opportunity and pressures as most, just that I really CGAF enough about what anyone else thought by me not smoking for it to have any impact.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I guessed that it wasn't going to be *good* for me and that was enough. We as humans all *need* to drink fluids, all be it not necessarily containing alcohol , no one *needs* to smoke.
Reply to
T i m

David Lang

already done by Bob Newhart

Reply to
charles

Nice one and exactly how it all seems to me. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They stopped smoking for you?? Are you fit?

Reply to
Steph

Well, partly, and partly because they were probably looking for an excuse and it made good sense, all things considered.

I must have had something going for me. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It must be it Tim, us women never give anything up without getting something better.

Reply to
Steph

Or us men. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Coincidently my wife used to smoke during sex until one day I drove into a brick wall.

Airbags would have saved her :(

Reply to
Phelim O' Hooter