Re: Old houses, where to run wiring

> > > I'd chase (cut recessed slots) in the walls. > Screwfix currently have a special offer on a > tool to make this job easier, on their home page. >
-- > Tony Halmarack > > Drop the EGG to email me.

Thanks - oddly enough, I was only looking at this late last night but had absolutely no idea what it did. How proficient do you need to be to use such a tool? Sorry, real dummies questions here.

Reply to
John Smith

Yes, I have one room where the lime plaster - all painted in some black stuff - is very fragmented and brittle.. and some chunks have come off. I was going to leave this and was considering a plan of:

1) Running vertical battens along the wall fastening them through the lime plaster to the brick work. 2) Plasterboaring onto these battens. 2a) POSSIBLY putting some depth behind the plasterboard - i.e using thicker/deeper battens - to put insulation in? (Is this a good/bad idea?) 3) Skimming over said plasterboard.

I was considering this for all my house as the rooms are simply enormous and losing a few inches per room would not matter a jot. I realised I can't do it in some rooms though because:

1) The plaster is not that bad and only really needs a levelling skim on it 2) Some walls are nearly level with door-frames meaning I simply can't do this on some walls.

John.

Reply to
John Smith

If you must use PB, you can fix it to the bricks with dots of plaster, thus avoiding the space used up with battens. Does mean knocking a few spots of the lime off.

If youre doing battens and PB though, its a good opportunuity to put insulation behind the PB, so you get the insulation of a cavity insulated wall rather than an old solid one.

Another option is to knock off whats come loose ad paint with dilute PVA. This is very good at strengthening / stabilising crumbly plaster. Then you can just fill or skim. This is often a very quick easy way to do things, and works well.

It also avoids all the complications with plasterboard of dealing with windows, doors, roundede corners, cornices and so on. So if you need to replaster there are real downsides to PB.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I've never seen black plaster, maybe it's a Northern thing? Most Victorian houses have enough depth of plaster to hide a piece of oval conduit in - you may have to chase out the brickwork a little, though. It's acceptable to plaster over wiring, but not convenient whenever a re-wire is needed....

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Well, it's turned up now, and it does initially look quite impressive, probably better than I was expecting. Comes in a sturdy plastic case with a detachable vacuum cleaner coupler, detachable side handle, a couple of tools for taking the disks off, a spare set of motor brushes,

3 year guarantee, and a purely pictoral instruction leaflet.

I won't be using it for a few weeks, so I thought I'd just power it up. Nice slow start on the motor, lacking from my £10 Wickes angle grider. This revealed the disks are not running true -- about 2mm wobble on each. Reassembled the disks, and still the same. Took the disks off and checked the drive shaft from the gearbox, and that's fine. Further investigation shows the wobble is because the blade holder cannot sit squarely on the drive shaft sholder -- the two don't fit together correctly. Hum, think I'll be contacting screwfix in the morning. A shame, because besides that, it looks to be a rather nice tool.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel