Re: Oh well back it goes

My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me

You must live in a pikey area then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

User error, you didn't read the posts properly.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

EricP wrote that, not 3rd early of derby.

now, is that user error or the fauly of a dodgy os ?

LOL

Reply to
.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean tight cut for the biscuit.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time spent doing it.

Until this one inevitably breaks.

Reply to
Andy Hall

hahahah, you're right :-)

Reply to
.

We'll see.

I missed out on a draper model last year, a local shed was selling them on special offer at 19.99GBP and I thought that there must be a problem with the draper model as they normally were selling for 59.99GBP. Apparently it was a bloody sales hype and the price went back up to original price after christmas. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I know some people who'll pay for a BJ when they need it....

Reply to
adder1969

Hah! you must be the giver then?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I learned that lesson with SDS drills. I tried several of the cheapies, including supposedly heavy duty units up to 1000W. On all of them the SDS chuck would break while drilling concrete, usually after about 20 5mm holes (so hardly excessive use).

I bought a Kress 500W and that has done serious work over the last six years including removing an entire concrete floor (5 by 4 metres) several walls, and multiple wall chasings. It just works, day in day out and it gets a real and continuous hammering, it's something I can trust and it didn't most much more than the NuTool exploding specials.

I notice on all the cheapies that they now come marked "not for use on concrete". So what's the point of buying one? The only reason for choosing SDS over rattle and hum is that SDS punches into concrete.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or whatever. If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't earn money then he has lost nothing.

Reply to
Fitz

Thats fair comment,but My drills are DeWalt as is the main Router so basically if I know a power tool is going to be regulary used and is one what has to take punishment then I will buy the better branded make. But as this is a wood tool BJ which will get little use its a snip at

23GBP.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Precisely.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Bzzt wrong.

A sign that you're a clueless f*ck.

Reply to
Steve Firth

|On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: | |> My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me | |You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World, Comet etc.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

That's a faulty argument.

Virtually all time costs money.

If you waste it returning faulty goods then it is time taken when you could have been doing something else. That might have been paid work as you suggest.

If I count personal earnings potential for a day, it amounts to one figure. However, if I add opportunity cost - meaning loss of business revenue - then that is very considerably more.

However one should also count time that is used to save money.

For example, if I do a DIY job that I would have to pay someone else £160 in labour to do and I do it myself in an 8hr day, my time is costed at much less than my earnings and business potential. Nonetheless, it is significant. Let's say I have a faulty product which prevents me from completing that job and it takes me 2hrs to go and get it replaced then there is a direct and measurable cost of £40 plus probably another £10 in fuel, parking and car depreciation.

If I had added that £50 to the £20 that the product originally cost, I could have had a much better tool and not the frustration and inconvenience of the delay to completing the job.

This is the difference between thinking about the complete picture and buying on value, rather than one small piece and buying on price.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite wrong. You are looking at the small picture and not the complete one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah. The real high spots, then.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Every power tool eventually breaks. But even cheap ones will be designed for so many hours use without failure - otherwise there'd be no profit in making them. If a cheap one is ok to use and does the job for occasional use then it's a sensible buy. For something heavily used, probably not. Of course the enjoyment and accuracy thingies come into the equation too. But I'm happy with el cheapo angle grinders, for example. But not things like jigsaws. Dunno where a biscuit joiner comes in - I don't care if they snap when I'm eating one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MrHall you stipulate that time is money?

If so then what the hell are you doing on this newsgroup? surely this must be valuable time that could be spent doing jobs?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby