Re: Mounting a consumer unit neatly

Sounds about right. Our current house was built about 1968 using imperial PVC cable. We bought it in 1970 and my earliest extensions to the ring main were with 7/029 but 2.5mm^2 came in shortly afterwards.

Remembering to re-use the old BA size screws when fitting a new switch or socket to an existing old imperial box has always been a pain.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That times well with my parents' house, wired in that stuff and built late 60s; '67 IIRC.

On the other subject, the house has earthed, loop-in lighting.

:-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove
[...]

[...]

My parents' house was built in about '67 and was mainly open-plan on the ground floor with four bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.

What has always astounded me is that the original compliment of sockets for the ground floor was two in the kitchen and two in the living area. The ground floor (including kitchen) is about 45sqm, so you can see just how useful this is. The bedrooms had one socket each which isn't so bad, but none on the landing or in the hall.

There were also two FCUs on the ground floor originally, as radials (I think). These are now both sockets.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove