Re: How to remove 'blue' outdoor plugs

We have inherited one of these in the garden, connecting up to the > water feature pump.

There is usually a spring clip on the 'lid' that closes, this locks the two together when plugged together - raise the 'lid' before trying to pull apart, although I have known them to be unbelievably stiff....if there's no power going through it, a severe dose of WD40 will have it apart in seconds.

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

From a practical pov, the lid has to be raised to get any grip on the plug so I have already done this (though I can't see any interlocking).

I have tried twisting and it doesn't go round either way any easier than it pulls down

I can find no obvious 'button' to push.

I think that the socket is going to come off the wall and the whole lot will go in the bin, though as the fixings are the only part that isn't waterproof this is going to be a long task as the slots have rusted up.

tim

Reply to
tim

The message from "tim" contains these words:

Next time give it a shot of silicone spray before you put it together!

Reply to
Guy King

locks the

apart in

You think those are stiff - you should try the 125 amp 3 phase ones in the same range - you need to be seriously fit to pull them apart !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi,

I usually find a table knife with a flat handle, push the back of the blade in the gap between plug and socket and prise it apart, or tap the end of the handle so it acts as a wedge.

If you do get it apart, use plenty of WD40 or vaseline to help stop it getting stuck again.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Brand new 16 amp plugs require a deal of effort to separate. And watch for that infernal sprung lid trying to chop your fingers off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)