Re: Household cleaning chemicals?

<SNIP>

> Well I was going over afterwards with just water thinking that

> > detergent residue in the carpet might attract dirt but then I again I > > always do a few dry strokes to remove water. > > Ah, see what you mean.  Detergent residues do attract dirt and with a > cheaper detergent rinsing makes sense.  I personally wouldn't bother if > using Prochem because its a top quality product. > >  Having said that, if you have the time, rinsing the carpet with plain > water, provided you don't over wet it, is never going to do any harm.

Ah right OK, I tend to do just one pass and then a good few dry strokes or basically until I see no more water coming through the plastic nozzle part, our carpets are mostly wool and I have found synthetic carpet to dry really quickly but wool takes a while.

> > And yes I always rinse > > the pump but I thought I was achieving something else by rinsing the > > carpets with the plain water. What confuses me is Prochem having a > > Rinse detergent meant for rinsing. So I assume it will be ok just > > vacuuming when dry? > > The rinse aids are mainly to neutralise very high alkaline detergents > residues - such as might be needed to clean the carpets in your local curry > house.

Thanks for clearing that up

Reply to
David

Thats because of the absorbtion of the fabric, synthetic fibres absorb very little, wool can absorb 40% of its own weight in water.

You will also notice that when cleaning wool carpets the recovery tank on the machine doesn't fill up as much.

Did you read the FAQ BTW ?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman