Re: DIY Optician

They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times (and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not an approach I'd considered, I must admit. The appeal of the ones in the link of course is that they seem to be continuously variable: I can see that being useful.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Could be interesting. But I can't find any reviews.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

A multi element lens is not going to be ideal for specs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

bet they aren't very durable either

tim

Reply to
tim...

not an option for people with short sight

Reply to
tim...

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Being a bit nerdy I would worry not only about astigmatism but other aberrations in things like this.

Reply to
newshound

IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

They have also been suggested for third world countries too, using cheap syringes for the fluid.

Reply to
dennis

They were initially designed for third world countries. I cam across them 6 or 7 years ago.

Reply to
Fredxx

I didn't know you had been to Ireland.

Reply to
ARW

"fully adjustable (-6D to + 3D)"

Reply to
R D S

Yeah, they are nothing new.

Third world countries now have testing/glazing centres though, where they can get an eye exam and a 'proper' pair of glasses made.

These adjustable ones are handy to replace ready readers I suppose.

Reply to
R D S

dennis@home wrote on 27/08/2019 :

I remember those!

Do these use a liquid lens?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

R D S was thinking very hard :

Seems simpler and much cheaper to just carry a spare pair of readers of the correct diopter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Always blame the varifocals if you fall down some pub steps when pissed up.

The one thing that I have never really got used to with my varifocals are the cut and cornered paving slabs in shopping precincts that rise and fall in height for disabled access to buildings.

Reply to
ARW

What do you for dirt between the lens?

Reply to
FMurtz

I think these don't have fluid - in fact I was looking for variable glasses some time ago, and nobody makes that type. These glasses have two sliding lenses giving different strengths depending on sideways separation. However it can't really be done because the horizontal power will not be the same as the vertical power, resulting in astigmatism, but seemingly not noticeable judging by the glowing reviews.

Reply to
Dave W

One of the reviews said don't use them on the beach because the sand gets between the lenses.

Reply to
Dave W

Some people must

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, they have two rather complex lenses that slide over each other. The final picture on the website shows how they work. Quite clever, but I'd have thought there's a lot of distortion.

Reply to
GB