Ravenheat boilers

Does anyone here have any experience with Ravenheat condensing boilers? An elderly relative had a new system installed a year or so back and the boiler's a Ravenheat: just lately it's been firing up and switching off in rapid succession, not always but often enough to be troubling. The installer at first suggested it was because of the placement of the flue in relation to the prevailing wind, and then decided that "a fuse might have blown" - he says he's contacted Ravenheat for help but had no reply yet.

Anyone? Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

theres something about the ravenheat flue in relation to the positioning of the air pressure sensor tube, if it was in a marginal position, then the wind blowing in the wrong direction 'could' be enough to bugger things up,

fuse, wot a load of bollox, if a fuse blew it wouldent fire up at all, or if the ignitor was fused say (which it isnt on my ravenheap boiler anyway) then it wouldent fire sometimes and not others.

it being a year old shouldent have the ignitor earthed through the condensate trap, earlier boilers had that, idea being if the drain blocked, water rose in the trap, reached the probe and leaked the ignition voltage to earth, preventing it firing up, but they got rid of that as it was a 'little' unreliable to say the least.

i had a new main board in my boiler, and the fitter had left it in test mode, so it fired up, then shut down about a minute later, then repeated all the time heat was called for, but it did that since he put it in, not a fault that came on suddenly, changing the link to the run position sorted that.

Reply to
Gazz

Gazz,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Interestign that it could be the wind across the flue. The "test mode" idea is a good one, too. I agree that on the face of it a fuse seems unlikely.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

In my experience, Ravenheat are very helpful on the phone, and will talk to you about it. They also have a decent (3yr?) warranty and their own service engineers. I'd phone them rather than getting the installer back out.

andrew

Incompetent installer? Try contacting Ravenheat yourself and getting word from the horses mouth.

Reply to
cynic

Does this happen with just the hot water or with the central heating?

Does the boiler actually light fully or just turn on the first stage, ie low pressure, burning?

Reply to
chudford

I posted this before, but it's not showing up here - apologies if it appears twice.

In my experience, Ravenheat are really helpful on the phone, plus they have their own service engineers and a 3 year warranty, so I would just phone them tomorrow.

andrew

Andrew,

OK, great. Thanks.

Cynic,

Had crossed my mind, of course, though he's done a fair bit of other work for members of the family with no evident problems.

Chudford,

From what I've seen (or rather heard) yes, it does. Then immediately cuts out, fires again, cuts out, and so on, always with a considerable thump. Eventually it lights and stays lit.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules