Rats in attic insulation...

Low voltages can kill - but you need a VERY good connection with LOW resistance to get enough current to flow. Skin (and hair I think) have fairly high resistance. In the CSI episode the skin was wet which lowers the resistance.

Either way this doesn't sound like a good way to kill rats.

Reply to
pjlusenet

Yes, a high voltage will tend to flow around the outside of a body (think van der Graf generator. The car rat died because of the current a car battery will kick out, not the fact it was only 12V.

No, poison/traps/shooting them is better.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

In message , Mark writes

Not that I'm an expert, but would poking a live wire into insulation constitute a fire risk?

In addition, an old electrician told me that rats and mice have to be really unlucky to get electrocuted by chewing cables as they usually have just enough dust under there feet to give good insulation.

It also strikes me that if you have a number of rats that you poke a wire at, some may decide to go for your arm. I've heard that rats these days aren't that timid. I'd get a pro in, and probably invest in a pellet gun just in case.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Reply to