Rats!

As per previous, a cute, small furry creature with long tail and whiskers. Commonly found having to live near the litter and filth etc that disgusting humans leave lying around.
--
AJL

An intelligent, living creature - like you are supposed to be? Have you ever observed or studied rats?

The only good rat's a dead rat. The same is true for shitehawks.
--
SAm.

Your attitude and state of ignorance noted.
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

What? Weil's disease, salmonella, tuberculosis, cryptosporidiosis, E.Coli, foot and mouth disease, leptospirosis, murine typhus, hantaviruses, trichinosis, streptobacillus moniliformis - oh and didn't they carry the fleas that spread bubonic plague?
Sounds pretty damn valid to me!
Dave
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:11:53 GMT, "david lang"

Humans are pretty effective carriers either directly or indirectly of most of those.
So in scientific terms, most mammals can carry most of these pathogens and more.
In emotional terms, rats are perceived to be a major carrier, whether or not the numbers actually stack up.
As long as we understand that this is actually an emotional argument and that we should therefore kill rats, that's OK.
However, we really shouldn't kid ourselves that this a statistically significant issue.
--

.andy

Looks like they're going to have to rely on Weil's disease then ...

Complacency.
Your moral philosophy is crap.

I can understand the "proud of it". The trouble is you are wrong in just about everything you say so that pride is very hollow.
david lang wrote:

Dave, meet grizzly bear. Grizzly bear, meet Dave.
Owain
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:19:04 +0000, Owain

"You don't come here for the hunting, do you?" etc. etc.
--

.andy

Owain wrote:

See my reply to "raden". FU set.

It's just a human, why shouldn't I kill it? How can you be so scared of a tiny furry creature that makes you want to lash out and murder it, lest it comes near you? How paranoid.
--
AJL

No, the ones in the red coats that have no morals. :-)
--
AJL

Grenadier Guards? ;-) But you probably mean Pink rather than red - though technically you mean the red coloured Pink (or grey coloured Pink?) they wear to disguise reality.

And is your bloodsport of choice fishing like that arch hypocrite Tony Banks?
--
Roger Chapman

This might sound incredible to you but I find the word 'bloodsport' to be entirely repugnant. 'Sport' requires freely consenting participants.

So you do go fishing but don't like it called a bloodsport.
--
Roger Chapman

I certainly do not go fishing. Your assumption that I do says a great deal about your mindset.

You're barking up the wrong tree. All I was probing for was an outright condemnation of the millions who do fish in the same terms as those you used in your rant against fox hunters.
--
Roger Chapman

snip

You are not painting a very pretty picture of yourself. You resort to meaningless insults because you don't have any rational argument to offer. Foxes and rats are vermin both in normal usage of our supposedly common language and as a matter of law.
Humans are competing for territory with the rest of the animal kingdom and differ only in that the rest of the species give no quarter when the chips are down. Of course our ancestors have made a mess of the planet and most of their descendants are bent on continuing the process but that after all is inherent in human nature. It is those who see animals as equal species with equal rights that are both out of step with the majority and a continuing danger to the rest of us. Those who would give rights only to the animals they think fluffy and cuddly (like the aforementioned Tony Banks) are nothing more than clueless hypocrites.

Knowledge that foxes feel pain has long been known but I doubt very much whether it has been proved that they feel the same intensity of pain that we do or indeed in the present climate it would be possible to determine that experimentally. Among humans there is apparently some evidence that not all types feel the same intensity of pain.

Anyone who thinks that the safety of animals is as important as the safety of children is obviously unbalanced. Comparing animal abusers with child rapists does rather give you away.
--
Roger Chapman

[much snipped]

Last bit true. I know of no study that shows that anyone feels pain to the same extent as me (can be extended as a view for any human) nor that is capable of distinguishing between the pain felt by other humans and other mammals. You say you "doubt whether it has been proved ...". It hasn't. But that applies equally to all mammals including humans. I know of no way of distinguishing other than "this is my species" which is merely an extension of "this is my sex", "this is my nation", "this is my race" - with the implied follow on "and everything/one else is of lower worth".
[Snip]

You're conflating two ideas - and refer to the one that I didn't address. My comment intended to relate solely to the mindset of the perpetrator - not the victim. To repeat the statement:

Do think such people should be allowed in society without treatment or supervision?
This is separate from any legal sanction that you think might be appropriate to deal with those indulging in child abuse, animal cruelty, &c though society might wish to have one solution follow on the other.
NB It has been noted that child abusers, rapists, serial murderers, &c that take their pleasure from inflicting pain do sometimes begin by inficting pain on animals. It's what we allow them to get away with.