Rats

We recently spotted rats on our bird feeder and climbing the plum tree, so I ordered a couple of rat traps from eBay (the spring type). When they caught a couple still alive trapped by their legs, I dug out my

45-year old BSA Meteor .22 air rifle to dispatch them, but a couple of test shots into some wood barely made a dent, so the club hammer had to do.

Then I had a closer look at the gun which hadn't been out of its case for many years. On disassembly the problems were obvious. The piston O-ring had perished, the cork breech seal had crumbled away and the main spring had compressed by several inches. At least that made getting it out a doddle, compared to getting the new one in.

Anyway, that was a most satisfying D-I-Y job. Pellets now easily go through 18mm chipboard and I can't wait to catch some more rats.

Reply to
Reentrant

So not just me then:-) I grabbed it and slammed its head in the kitchen cupboard door.

Reply to
ARW

A gun at point blank range to the skull is not messy if you use something sensible at the other side (my choice would be soil or sand). It also stops the bullet rebonding into your face.

As you say it is illegal to use a gun in the street (even an airgun).

The garden would be ideal.

Reply to
ARW

coffee

pressure

Having been bitten by a squirrel I had grabbed around the neck but not high enough up to stop it moving it's head I tend to keep animals I'm going kill a little further away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You ought to see the thanks a cat gives you when you do want to save its live and you do not have a good hold on it when you grab it:-)

You probably knew that.

Now HTF did you manage to grab a squirrel with your hand?

Reply to
ARW