Quick Consumer unit query

On 05/12/2012 18:51, Stephen H wrote:

Covered here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Smoke_Detectors#Electrical_Installation_Guidelines
--
Cheers,

John.

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:53:01 +0000, Stephen H wrote:

Four seems a bit OTT but perhaps you have four rooms with wood burners and/or boilers in?

Six of one half a dozen of the other...
As you say everything has battery back up so having to switch everything off to work on any single sub-system is no degradation of safety. Other than running the batteries down. Are these batteries replaceable or are the detectors single use, replace whole thing when battery is flat/knackered?
Bear in mind that the smokes/CO and alarm systems are actually isolated from each by virtue of the volt free relay connections. I'd be tempted to have the alarm on one MCB and the detectors on another, possibly two depending on if the detectors share the same cable or have their own cables.
The alarm signalling mains failure is a good feature but mains failure on the detector circuit(s) could be simply done with tell tale neon(s) in a place you pass often. Having said that our Ei mains/battery backed/interlinked smoke/heat detectors have green tell tale built in.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 05/12/2012 09:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:

i have a wood burner in lounge, gas boiler in kitchen and a chimney stack in the main bedroom and in the loft. (in case the chimney leaks fumes) hence four interconnected.

All 12 smoke dets have removable and hence replaceable 9v PP batteries.
The CO detectors have rechargeable batteries and are sealed units and will also warn when the CO detector needs total replacement in 10 years time as that apparently is the lifetime of the CO sensor element.

At the moment, a single Twin & Earth cable goes to the 1st smoke det from CU, then its 3 core cable to the other 11 smoke dets in daisy chain fashion. Then its twin & Earth from the last smoke det to the 1st CO det, then its 3 core to the other three CO dets. I can pick up alarm power from the last CO det (which is in loft) to power the alarm panel.
The CO dets and Smoke dets are from different manufacturers (Kidde and Dicon respectively) and hence cannot be interconnected for signalling, but they can be connected via power.

I have green tell tales on all my smoke dets and on the CO dets.
The alarm panel has an onboard POTS autodialler, and there is also an option to add an Ethernet module (for communicating to internet) and an option to add a GSM/GPRS module for SMS text messaging.
On 05/12/2012 19:00, Stephen H wrote:

With that many alarms, you might want to look at a type that can include a remote test and hush switch. That allows you to shut them up from a central location, and also sound just the alarm that triggered the alarm in the first place so you can quickly identify the location.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 04/12/2012 23:53, Stephen H wrote:

How can it 'signal out via the autodialler and the broadband internet' if there is a mains failure? Am I misunderstanding something?
--

"I'm not the messiah!"
I say you are Lord.

battery power?
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 05/12/2012 09:57, Nitro wrote:

I assume the autodialer will signal via the mobile phone network and a sim card. The broadband is a separate path.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 05/12/2012 11:18, John Rumm wrote:

the autodialler is a POTS dialler. But as mentioned earlier, there an ethernet module available and a GSM/GPRS module for the alarm panel I have.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:57:46 +0000, Nitro wrote:

Alarm has battery backup. Analogue phone lines work without mains power or it could use the mobile networks. The latter might not be very reliable in the case of a power outage as very few cell sites have backup power. If the power cut affecting the alarm is also affecting the local cell site...
The broadband is a bit trickier if the ADSL modem and, if required, network switch aren't on a UPS. Of course there could be alarms with ADSL modems in but I can't see that being very practical.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 05/12/2012 16:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yes, landline phone exchanges have robust power due to teh requirements to support at least 999 calls.
I do take your point regarding mobile phone networks though.

I will have an UPS on the Cable and ADSL modems as well as on the 48 port switch (i have CCTV as well)
On 05/12/2012 09:57, Nitro wrote:

The alarm autodialler is integral to the alarm panel, It also supports the addition of an ethernet module (for internet access) and a GSM/GPRS module for SMS text messaging, which will be powered via the alarm panels lead acid battery during power failure.
I am deaf so the auto dialler can phone my hearing wife, and teh GSM/GPRS module can text my mobile phone or the ethernet module can email me.....