Question on skirting fitting on undulating wall

I find those difficult to cut neatly, and took a chance with mitre cuts on MDF skirting. Didn't have a problem with gaps over several years, even on the long runs.

Reply to
RJH

The problem is often the mitre is not 45 degrees, especially on some older properties where the corners are not 90 degrees and a ceiling can slope by perhaps 5cm over the length of a room.

As others have suggested painting the same colour on walls and any filling can disguise imperfections.

In the past I have seen some horrendous decoration using wallpaper with a well defined vertical pattern on chimney breasts or in the narrow alcoves when the walls haven't been plumb. With a sloping ceiling don't paint a picture rail a different colour to the wall.

Reply to
alan_m

The cope cut solves two problems - the corner being slightly out of square, and hiding the effects of wood shrinkage (which in effect changes the angle of the mitre). If you were using MDF then that solves the second problem anyway. Out of square you can deal with by measuring carefully and cutting a bastard mitre if required.

Reply to
John Rumm

That agrees completely with my experience. Bill

Reply to
wrights...