Query about the fluing options of a W-B Greenstar

I have a query about the fluing options on the Worceter Greenstart

30HE.

I wish to vent into an existing brick lined chimney. I will require a

800mm offset and then a riser of about 1500mm to enter the chimney.

Will I require a flue liner, and could you recommend a cowl to go on the top of the chimney?

Or is the best option to extend the flue from the boiler to top and out of the chimney, my worry is that the moisture in the exhaust could cause problems unless vented outside.

Can't wait for that chocolate box picture this winter with the "smoke effect house"

Thanks

Reply to
Rhys

Firstly, you clearly don't know anywhere near enough to make a safe installation, so I hope you will be employing a CORGI registered installer to do the installation.

However, for planning before you employ them, the Greenstar will require the concentric flue to go all the way to the top of the chimney and terminate in a purpose built vertical flue terminal. To do this will require quite a few flue extension pieces (Greenstar specific), which should be allowed for in your costings. It will also require the flue route to be direct, as it will be very difficult (read: expensive and possibly impossible) to put bends in the flue as you pass it up (or down) the chimney. You may find it easier to install a boiler that accepts a side by side drainpipe flueing system. These may be easier to install in the chimney (and much cheaper to purchase). Amongst others, the Keston Celcius 25 has this flue arrangement as standard, whilst some other manufacturers have this as an option.

Also, if the other side of the chimney is the side of the house and distances to various features are appropriate, it may be easier just to stick the flue straight through the wall. Not possible if the other side of the wall is your neighbours lounge, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I absolutely agree with you - there's no way I'm installing the boiler. Sorry if I gave you that opinion. I'm just looking for advice on whether it's possible to use the existing chimney. As it stands the house used to have a boiler located, I presume, under the chimney - the boiler was removed ~20 years ago and the chimney boarded up. After removing the boarding from the base of the chimney I found it straight but capped.

Thanks for your help.

Rhys

Reply to
Rhys

If this is the route the flue needs to go then look at the Keston Celsius

as this uses 50mm muPVC plastic waste pipe for its air inlet and flue - much much cheaper than using numerous flue extension pipes. If you did decide on this boiler make sure that your installer knows that he must use muPVC waste not the somewhat cheaper ordinary uPVC.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Then it will be possible, but possibly not cheap or easy to find a plumber willing to do it. It may be a scaffolding job to fit the top end safely.

Again, do the sums to see if a standard concentric vertical flue (p. cheaper boiler, but more expensive flue) or a drainpipe flue system will be cheaper.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle