PVA and Plastering

(was "Blown Plaster)

Bought some plaster and some PVA - question - (The instructions don't help) Should the PVA be put on long before plastering to give it chance to dry - or should it be applied immediately before plastering?

Reply to
John

Doesn't matter although some plasterers prefer a splash on the wall before the plaster ie wet. PVA was primerily to seal any dusty brickwork.

Reply to
George

I diluted the PVA (3 water, 1 PVA) and let it dry before plastering or painting.

As I understand it, the PVA can be used for two tasks :

consolidate (sp?) loose/dusty surfaces before plastering seal plaster before painting

When consolidating I used more PVA in the mix than when sealing.

YMMV!

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

And also to glue the plaster to a surface it won't stick to otherwise (PVA should be still slightly tacky when plastering in this case).

No, never do that with PVA.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

PVA should be applied just before plastering and allowed to go tacky (20mins or so) If plastering is done too soon after, it'll be sliding all over the place.

mark

Reply to
Mark

PVA is almost dry 2minutes after the application. If you're having problems with the plaster sliding all over the place? its because you mixed it wrong.

Reply to
George

Thanks - done it today - PVA a few minutes before (whilst I mixed the plaster).

Reply to
John