Blown Plaster

in the hall of my daughters (1920's) house is an area of 'blown' plaster. I have just pulled off the woodchip paper and the thin top layer of plaster came off with it - but the cement render underneath appears sound. The house has been treated for damp in the past. Should I:

a) give it a brush with PVA and re-skim it?

or b) knock off the cement render back to the brickwork and fix plasterboard with dabs and dobs?

The area is fairly small - about ft high and 3 ft wide - around a corner and door opening.

John

Reply to
John

If you're happy the cement render is sound then I'd brush with dilute PVA (3 water, 1 PVA) and re-skin. It's what I did on a section of wall on our old house a couple of years ago and it worked a treat.

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

Bought some plaster and some PVA - question - (The instructions don't help) Should the PVA be put on long before plastering to give it chance to dry - or is it put on immediately before plastering?

Reply to
John

Don't know. I let it dry.

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

Dear John I would not use PVA but SBR (styrene butadiene) as it cannot reemulsify as can pva if soaked. read the instructions on the can but best to paint on the surface to be skimmed and WHILST STILL TACKY AND WET apply plaster mixed with glue in the water

This is on the assumption the render is sound and not full of hygroscopic salts (test with a meter in humid weather...) Chris

Reply to
mail

True, but the gypsom plaster will fail if soaked too, so there's no point worrying about the PVA failing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel