Pull-switch broken

The bathroom pull switch has stopped working.

Unscrewed the underpiece - hoping to be able to use some lubricating spray - but, as can be seen, the switch mechanism is inside a sealed box, so will need to replace:

recognise the make/model, please?

Reply to
Maurice Batey

buy a whole new one - they are all the same.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

They are not all the same.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry Geoff, I seem to have deleted the following bit before pressing send!

"Some pull switches do not have a cable entry point that is central to the backbox".

The OP needs one with a central entry point. eg Click or BG

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've got one to work again by pulling down on the cord and suddenly releasing it so that it snaps back. It's worth a try.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

That's what I planned to do, but preferably one that matches the existing switch so that I can simply replace the underpiece (without disturbing the ceiling plate and its wiring). Perhaps this one:

Maurice Batey

Is that back box part of the switch or is it a standard one with conduit box type spacing of the mounting holes?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

[snip]

New ones all seem to have the same extra loud click, which is too loud at night. Older ones were often quite quiet.

--

Reply to
<me9

Having removed the underpiece I can see "Crabtree 7801". But I can't find one with that label on the 'net.

Although I could not get into the switch mechanism, there was a gap that allowed me to squirt some WD40 into it. (Nothing else to hand.) But after connecting up all that happened was a few sparks at the switch, rather than the light coming on. (Probably WD40 not a good idea...)

So looks like replacement time... Will try local stores for a match (to avoid distrubing the ceiling plate and wires) , otherwise probably the Screwfix replacement.

Reply to
Maurice Batey

Called in at local Senate Electrical today and got (it says on the back): "British General BS EN 60669 6A 250V"

2-way (or 1-way) pull switch, for £4.09.

The underpiece fits nicely onto the old ceiling plate (using the old screws).

Normal a service has been restored...

Many thanks for all the helpful responses. Much appreciated!

Reply to
Maurice Batey