Public utilities - failing to clean up

Morrisons Utilities recently did some hydrant repairs on a tarmac footpath opposite my home, involving lots of digging and probably replacement of the hydrant, in front of someone's drive.

On completion, they filled the hole, tarmaced and took away the bulk of the mess remaining, but left the path covered in mud and a drain piled with soil. Don't they have a responsibility to clean up after themselves any more?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

When an electricity cable in the footpath went 'pop' late one night, the supplier turned up to make a repair, and a temporary tarmac job, then a separate team turned up a few days later to make a proper job of the resurfacing and taking away the heap of muck etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some of them seem to have separate teams that follow round some time later to do the proper making good - possibly waiting for the spoil in the hole to consolidate a bit before topping up with the dirt left on site, resurfacing in the style of the original finish and finally taking the rest away.

(either that, or they just did a crap job!)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm formulated the question :

It looks finished, left a week - so probably just a crap job of cleaning up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

So ring them up and moan to them!

Reply to
mechanic

Some local councils like to do the final clear up themselves, and charge it to the utility supplier.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No moan to the owner of the pavement.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

take a photo of it and yourself with the obligatory sad face and sell it to the Daily Mail ?

Reply to
Andrew

Normally on a road surface, first they make a temporary job then wait for it to settle then come back and do it with whatever was there before. It can go wrong though as we have a series of pot holes near me which were dug out when the company was EDF, and temp filled over a new connection to a building. Here we are nearly a decade later, London Power Networks are the current company and they deny all knowledge of the work of course so it will no doubt all go bang one day cutting of the whole building at which point somebody will need to fix it. The council merely push all complaints to lpn. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff