Protecting (varnish) Wallpaper in Bathroom

I've got a wall in a bathroom to paper, paper is spongeable but not vinyl. It will need protecting from moisture.

Googling finds decorators varish, available in gloss, satin and matt, will probably go for matt or maybe satin.

Does anyone have experience of his stuff, I've never used it before and don't want to wreck the customers wallpaper? Any "gotchas" to look out for. I normally use Solvite (powder, not ready mix) for paper hanging, is this ok?

I've found this (Polyvine Decorators Varnish):

maybe someone has other recommendations?

Reply to
DavidM

anyone?

Reply to
DavidM

We have got some Polyvine water based varnish. It's OK, but not as a) tough and; b) hard-surfaced as another company's water based floor seal.

I've not heard of people varnishing wallpaper except in emulation of Victorian techniques.

Reply to
polygonum

=A0

I've not tried it, but wallpaper in a bathroom sounds like madness to me.

NT

Reply to
NT

I've used heavy-duty _vinyl_ wall 'paper' in the bathroom. It's held up very well over the years.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've used vinyl wallpaper and non-vinyl in bathrooms. The non-plastic wallpaper, good quality wallpaper, lasted as long as I wanted it to before redecorating, more than ten years. With varnish designed for wallpaper, I would expect things to be fine.

Reply to
blod

The one in the link say "For interior emulsion wallpaper, fabric and plaster work", so comparing it with a floor varnish is maybe unfair.

I'd not heard of varnishing wallpaper either until this customer mentioned it, she's from Oz and apparently it's relatively common there.

Reply to
DavidM