Protectacoat?

Hi,

Have got Protectacoat coming round in a weeks or so time. I suspect we need some work doing at least on one side of the house. Whats the general feeling regarding the product and their staff? Any knowledge/experience of them would be great.

Thanks

John

Reply to
yeleek

No personal experience of Protectacoat but my neighbour in the adjoining semi had his house sprayed by one of these firms over 20 years ago with a pink textured coating. The coating has remained structurally sound but it soon turned a dirty pink colour, and that ruined what was a good-looking house. A Google for Protectacoat complaints doesn't throw anything too horrendous up. I notice on the Protectacoat website that they are keen that you take their finance 'plan' and this seems to be tied up with the 20 year guarantee. No mention of what the APR is for the loan. They claim that they don't use pressure selling and that you are under no obligation. I am not sure how that squares with salesmen on commission. Good luck.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Hi pressure. We asked for a satisfied customer we could talk too, but that was refused. I eventually saw a house they did, it was crap. They sprayed over wires and things. There is the standard large percentage off if you sign immediately. The spiel says how much you will save over standard maintenance. At the end he writes down a figure and says what do you think of that? We said 'quite frankly ludicrous' It was immediately reduced by half, it was still stupid, but at that point we threw him out, they phoned with lower offers for weeks. They started at 13000 and ended at about 5000, having seen their work it was still overpriced and bear in mind this was years and years ago (20 ish) The name might have been different but it is the same firm, they never stay in business (under that name) long enough to back up their guarantee.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like its worth while being careful with them.

THanks again

mrcheerful . wrote:

Reply to
yeleek

These coatings probably perform as well as they say, it's just that 9 times out of 10 they don't adhere properly to the substrate. Water then gets between the two and you have a major problem, which is nothing to do with them as the coating itself hasn't failed.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you have cavity walls, and they aren't insulated, and you intend having cavity wall insulation installed (would make sense the way fuel prices are going) then it is as well to have CW insulation installed before the walls are coated.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

A lady of my acquainance used to have a boyfriend who was one of their salesmen. Apart from the fact that he was one of the sleaziest men I've ever known, he also put me off him by bragging about all the tricks he would pull in order to make a sale. You are probably aware of most of them, but that doesn't mean that you won't get caught out if you're not careful.

I was relieved when the lady in question came to her senses and found a more suitable partner.

For entertaining tips on dealing with salesman visting your home, read the current thread simply called 'WTF'

Reply to
Roly

Reply to
Bossog

Protectawall did their _low_* pressure sell on us about 5 years ago . As stated elsewhere the initial price was astronomical. In the end we paid a little under 5K for them to repoint and spray a 3 bedroom detached house with awkward gable end access. I have the address of the coating supplier somewhere if you want to contact them. I quess it's similar stuff to that which Protectacoat use?

At the time I had had similar quotes for Santexing the house.

(*) I'm not joking. After laughing at the first price and waving the rep goodbye they the price dropped to 1/3 in two phone calls over two months. Having said the price came down, the new owners of my wife's previous house (an end of terrace 2 up 2 down) with effectively only 3 square, flat walls, paid Protectawall 12K !!!!!

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Far cheaper to prebook a tradesman to come and redo the house every 3 years at a preagreed price. And will last longer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Apologies in advance of rant: I don't _pre_ book anything, I might _book_ something.

Apologies again.

Richard

Reply to
Richard