Props for chimney breast

Hi. I've got a gas fitter coming tomorrow to install a hole in the wall gas fire. The present height of the wall opening is probably not high enough to allow the new fire to sit entirely above the (6") skirting board which is the result I'd like to achieve.

Do gas fitters take on this type of job?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Is this a flueless fire or living flame? If the latter I think it comes under HETAS regulations i.e. hearth 2" above floor level and no skirting boards crossing the chimney breast. Chimneys in older houses are also quite likely to fail the smoke test and need a flue liner fitted. Can be an expensive business and HETAS fitters are thin on the ground.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The wall opening may be able to be enlarged if there is some spare space between the current opening and the lintel. If however the lintel has to be raised then that requires a builder - and possibly a separate Building Regs application to demonstrate the work will be structurally safe.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Stuart Noble wibbled on Thursday 08 October 2009 08:11

The HETAS chap who's doing my stove said I could have a level hearth. He just wanted 300mm clearance to all combustable surfaces. In fact I've seen a fair few stoves installed level with the floor.

Reply to
Tim W

The wall opening may be able to be enlarged if there is some spare space between the current opening and the lintel. If however the lintel has to be raised then that requires a builder - and possibly a separate Building Regs application to demonstrate the work will be structurally safe.

Thanks. The front wall of the chimney breast is a single leaf and the lintel seems to be a short piece of RSJ across an opening currently about 40cm wide. I think it will be a simple job to raise the rsj a couple bricks higher.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51