programmable thermostats

Well I read the words - but I seemingly misinterpreted them, thinking that you were saying that throwing the switch was easier than having to read the instructions . . .

I was not aware that the 'downstairs' stat was not the *only* stat.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well the information was there before you deleted the first sentence. Original paragraph repeated below.

I have had a Horstman centaurstat as my upstairs stat for several years now and that has both room temperature and set temperature in the display. I believe it may have a holiday setting as well but I had wired a switch in series before I found that out and flipping a switch is so much easier than the looking up instructions that precedes setting holiday on the downstairs stat.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

That's what I have done but it is a nuisance to have to do that. It sounds as though the Honeywell can be set to ignore unused programmes; that's my fault for not researching thoroughly before I bought.

I think this is an advantage for some people but a disadvantage for others. Anyone with children will probably be grateful that the thermostat "resets" periodically. Those without would probably find it a hassle to have to keep overriding the temperature, though it could be said if you are always overriding, you ought to change the programme.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry, perhaps I did not RTM.

Reply to
Fred

In that case, just break the overnight 'cold' period into several time slots to use up the spare ones, so that you have the exact number you want in the daytime.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, ok - fair cop - guilty as charged!

Reply to
Roger Mills

What he said ;)

Reply to
Fred

Not sensible IMHO: 14 degrees C overnight (too cold) and 21 degrees C in the day (too hot).

Reply to
Fred

The latter yes far to warm for the day 18.5C here (and people are always in) until the evening when it rises to 20C. Overnight we have set at 15C but the programmer turns the heating off overnight as the creaks and bangs wake us up... It rarely gets that cold, it only just got that cold with -10C and a bit of wind outside last week. 15 or so tonnes of thick stone wall through the middle of the place holds a lot of heat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The lack of useful data in manufacturers' sales blurb often makes it quite difficult to find out what you need to know until after the event. I often resort to trawling the manufacturers' websites for downloadable instruction manuals which are usually a better source of information.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Marketing material is normally useless as far as telling you what a particular bit of kit can (or can't do). Specs and some pretty words is the normal content.

Yep, do that all the time. At least you then know that feature X in the marketing material is what you interpret the pretty words to be. You may also find a feature that is not mentioned at all but is very handy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It may be that there is a difference between the 24 hour version and the

7 day one. The 7 day one I have here certainly shows both set and actual temp. I think I can get it to show time in preference...
Reply to
John Rumm

I have a Drayton 'stat, which has four programmes per day, which for me is one too few. I have morning, daytime, evening & night. In colder weather, I would prefer two separate evening programmes.

Setting it up, I can set separate on-off times for Mon-Fri and for Sat-Sun. Within that envelope, I can vary the programme times for individual days.

I have the programmer set to heating permanently on, & the hot water for an hour a day, which is enough for a shower first thing and for handwashing during the day. There's no point having the water hotter than you need, as it is wasteful. The greater the temperature difference, the greater the heat loss.

CH engineering seems to be one of the most conservative trades I know. I still have CH engineers telling me that systems can be set up without a roomstat & a permanently open rad in the bathroom, so I suspect it'll be another twenty years before the idea of programmable roomstats rather than timers percolates all the way through the profession.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Roger Mills wrote on Jan 13, 2010:

I've tried to look on the Honeywell website but I couldn't see any reference to this 'party' function that you mention. Could you say which actual model of programmer you are using which has this?

Reply to
Mike Lane

The CM907/927 certainly has it.

John

Reply to
JohnW

In article , Mike Lane scribeth thus

Its on the CM67 and the RF version of that unit..

Reply to
tony sayer

Both my CM67 wired stat (several years old) and my CM927 wireless stat (less than one year old) have the Party function. [On the latest one, the button has a wineglass icon next to it]

I don't know where on the Honeywell site you looked, but have a look at

Party function is shown in the list of features on the second page of the PDF file, and is described in more detail on Page 10 (P11 of the PDF).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote on Jan 24, 2010:

Thanks for that - everything explained.

For some reason the site I got to demanded 'registration' to download any PDF files

Reply to
Mike Lane