Profit superSedes energy saving.

How aboutb your computer> Or do you charge it at work?

Reply to
charles

I take my computer away with me. It's a Notebook.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Switch, these people seem to have no standing charge tariffs:

Richard

He clearly wants to avoid the standing charge. Pulling the mains fuse won't fix that.

Reply to
Jock

But make sure you turn off that heater, or they'll nab back the equivalent of a standing charge by two *very* expensive units per day.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, they have to make a profit some way. I only bothered searching because I wondered if the OP had, which he obviously hadn't.

Very difficult to be a tight git and be comfortable these days.

Reply to
Richard

FYPFY

Reply to
Richard

Indeed. From a quick look at the Smart Energy Credit tariff that'll only work for households that use tiny amounts of energy - 1 kWh/day in the case of electricity.

For the OP though, not a bad fall-back on first sight.

Reply to
RJH

Or turn off the main breaker.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On 18/04/2022 17:55, Rod Speed sometimes wears his Jockstrap

Reply to
Richard

I was surprised that my water company (South East Water) actually offered to cease the standing charge, when I told them (in passing) no water was likely to be used for 3-4 months. They simply stopped charging it, (and I indeed didn't use any water for that period).

They even came and changed the meter during that period (because the cut off valve on it wasn't operating properly)

Reply to
Mark Carver

I know that it is true because I had the same argument with BG having stopped using gas in 2003. The meter has to be removed and you then cease to be a customer.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks for all the good advice on this. I'm going to go for a Utilita option with no standing charge as suggested by Richard. It seems to fit the bill for me.

I'm an averagely generous chap but I prefer to decide who my cash is going to be distributed to where possible. The last on my list is the profiteers salting it away in offshore accounts while their poorest customers freeze and starve.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

So the millions of British pensioners who do not have generous public service pensions and rely on annuities, private pensions (mostly limited to 3% maximum inflation protection) or drawdown using dividends are 'profiteering' from the dividends paid out by Shell, BP, BG, etc are they ?.

If you are absent for 6 months where are you ?, and where are you spending UK taxpayers money (pays your pension) during those

6 months ?.
Reply to
Andrew

I looked at Utilita and dropped the figures into the spreadsheet. As the sheet has standing charge on it I just put the difference between 1st. kWh and the rest as the standing charge; same for gas but for 2kWh. Works out just over £100 less over the year on the same usages as with Octopus. Worth another look when my fix ends.

Reply to
PeterC

He could be shacked up in a local brothel. Either way, it's none of my business. YMMV

Reply to
Richard

My planned activities and their financing are of course entirely subject to your approval.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Product placement?

Reply to