Profit superSedes energy saving.

I was hoping to have my electric meter turned off at reasonable cost while I was away from my flat for 6 months. Previously I've left my electric towel rail on and a small electric heater but the new higher standing charge is way too daunting considering the low usage in an empty flat.

First I saw this link:

Which showed a possible option as Item 4:

  1. Disconnect an electricity meter

Typically customers need this when:

Moving out of a property and they don't? want to be charged for an electricity bill Renovating a property and want their electricity meter removed temporarily or permanently

The company you pay your electricity bills legally own the meter so only they can work on the electricity meter and remove it for you. Find out your electricity supplier and your MPAN

---------------------------------- I mentioned this on the MSE forum and was given this link as being relevant

I remember reading a few years a go that the cost for this procedure was about 250 quid but this link page shows charges running into thousands, though I'm not sure the context covers my particular requirement.

"No standing charge tariffs" seem to have disappeared from the possible options too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It might be worth investigating a 'logical disconnection', rather than a 'physical disconnection' (where they cut the cable and remove the meter, eg for building works). Smart meters may be able to do a disconnection in software (there's a 100A contactor inside to cut the power).

That's point 5 rather than point 4 on your reasons for disconnection list, also:

The route for a logical disconnection is via your supplier (ie the billing company) not via the DNO. Point 5 says they send the DNO a DO132A message to cancel the MPAN (ie cause the billing identity to cease to exist, a bit like cancelling your BT line rental).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Seems you're not alone:

Might give you a better idea of the chain of responsibility and who to contact etc.

Reply to
RJH

I don't u/s your Subject. The only energy saved by removing the meter (over and above turning off the supply at the Consumer Unit) is the energy the meter itself consumes. Even with a Smart Meter that's tiny

- about a kWh a year.

And don't confuse de-energisation and disconnection. If you are really just interested in energy saving all you need is the former - which can be done by just taking the main fuse out of the incomer.

Reply to
Robin

My thoughts were on similar lines - just throw the mains isolator switch, except that when I went to look at mine, there wasn't one! Must have been taken out when the smart meter was fitted. But I see upthread Theo says there's a 100A isolator inside the smart meter which I assume can do the same job if MH can get it to work. Failing that, just throw the isolator(s) in the CU? Or even just go round the house unplugging or switching off everything.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

What I'm seeking is to have the electric supply to my flat officially stopped for six months so as to have the standing charge portion of the bill removed along with the non-existent usage, during that period.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It would be great if this prevented the standing charge from being applied.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

thanks. I'll see if I can approach the problem that way.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I think that's there to cut people off for non-payment

If the O/P persuades the supplier to disconnect, will there be a cost to reconnect in six months time? will that be less than the standing charge about £90?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. Those stories would embarrass the Mafia.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Now you come to mention it, I don't suppose British gas would make it any less. I thinks RJH came up with the apt phrase, "chain of responsibility".

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

So less "Profit superSedes energy saving" and more "why do they make it so hard for me to avoid the standing charge".

Reply to
Robin

If they made it easier and less expensive for me to have my meter disconnected, my flat would be using even less energy than when having a towel rail and a small heater running.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Spending your (UK taxpayer-funded) pension on someone else's GDP ?

The standing charge is the same whether it is empty or not. It is the unit charge that matters.

Reply to
Andrew

Why you need to leave them - or anything - on while you are away?

Reply to
Robin

Blimey, you are getting worse !.

If you have a meter, then you have a supply that you *can* use at any time, and therefore you have to pay the standing charge. The *only* way to avoid a standing charge is to cease being a customer and have the meter removed - permanently.

For many years the energy suppliers had zero-standing charge tariffs and simply charged dual rates where the first NNNN units were at a higher rate than the rate for NNNN+1 units.

Ofgem effectively got rid of these when 'Smart meters' were mandated and the standing charge was then intended to provide the (never ending) money stream to pay for the 'free' smart meters. Over a 30 year period the standing charges will pay for the smart meter rollout many times over.

Reply to
Andrew

+1
Reply to
Andrew

It's been a preference in the past. My sister would come and water the houseplants and other housekeeping checks. But the cost of doing so has increased with the newly imposed standard tariffs.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

That's possible?

I'm sure that's not true.

That would be useful.

Something else that seems unreasonable.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I'm afraid you brilliant deduction has lost me there.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack