probs with glow worm compact 80e - please help!

Wondering if anyone can help diagnose a slightly odd, intermittent problem with my compact 80e (not quite sure how old, but perhaps 5 years or so). The system is firing up fine, apparently working OK and is delivering central heating with no problems -- but no hot water. The boiler is seemingly not "sensing" when the tap is on and hot water is needed, so it's just coming through cold. It's been a bit temperamental for the past few weeks, sometimes giving me HW, sometimes not, but now seems to be totally on the blink.

Plumber came and looked at it last week when (ironically enough) it decided to start working again, so wasn't that helpful, but he thought system might need flushing out to clear gunk etc, perhaps there was a blockage somewhere inside, exacerbated by the cold.

Any bright ideas before I start spending money?

thanks Andy

Reply to
andyjd

1) Don't use that plumber. I'm always hesitant to suggest problem due to sludge as it's the refuge of those who can't diagnose the real problem. 2) You should be looking to replace the DHW micro switch. I doubt this component is over £25 + VAT.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , andyjd writes

Sounds like the pcb falling apart

... as they do

Reply to
geoff

That would be the second choice and the fault would be specifically to processing of the DHW switch signal.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

ide quoted text -

IIRC the compact combi ues a sub =A35 water flow diaphragm

Reply to
cynic

Its another pcb where connector pin joints crack (surprise, surprise) and the intermittency is what pointed me in that direction. The fact that someone came and had a poke around with it and it started working again is what would point it to me as being choix numero uno

Reply to
geoff

OK. Agreed. Again just like I'm prejudiced against the sludge /power flushing as a diagnosis. I'm similarly disinclined to start with the PCB (unless it's a Suprima). In this case you are probably right, I'm not sure what the technology of the water flow switch is. If it's a magnet + hall effect or magnet + nickel reed technology then these sensors are so reliable the wiring/pcb/connectors would be moved up the list.

Reply to
Ed Sirett