Problems with a float valve...

Now this job should be simple right? No, not for me it's driving me potty. Any advice to solve this will be gratefully received.

The cistern is a Twyford standard close coupled cistern with a conventional syphon fitted about a year ago.

A few days ago the overflow pipe (exits into the common waste) was found to be wet and the carpet underneath it, damp. Diagnosis is that the float valve was still letting water into the cistern and probably needed a new diaphragm fitting, as adjustment of the arm didn't work.

After 3/4 days of trying to fix this, no change. Have fitted the diaphragm in both directions (don't think there's a right or wrong way is there?).If I adjust the float arm to shut off to avoid overflow, it takes an age (about an hour) for the cistern to fill up to the required level - at the beginning of the fill all is OK but before you get to half the fill level, the flow reduces down to almost a trickle and just about shuts off nearly an hour later.

I have cleaned and removed all lime scale from all parts of the float valve, fitted a new flat washer behind the valve itself (this stops water going out through the screw-on coupling that holds the valve together), and replaced the diaphragm.

The float itself is not getting stuck and the whole thing should work OK. But I must be missing something.

I'm heading for a breakdown with this - help!

Reply to
brush-head©

Throw the valve away and buy a Torbeck one (£6 from Screwfix or in most DIY stores).

It's really not worth titting around with poorly made Portsmouth valves.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The nozzle it closes against might have a slot cut through the face, caused by high pressure water leaking through it for a while.

I would just buy a Fluidmaster replacement and ditch the old one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Brush Head, yep the others are right. Fit a Torbeck valve.

I recently fitted one of those Coffin tanks from ScrewFix. Everything was OK except the very noise BallCock valve they gave with it. It all worked fine but it took such a long time to shut off the water. Due to the cross sectional shape of the tank the rate of rise of the water is very very slow so it took a long time and was very noisey.

Fit a TORBECK.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410