Problems accessing a specific web site

Yesterday, I had problems accessing a particular 'hobby' web site :

Looking at a related Facebook group, it became obvious that I was not the only one, many people receiving a message saying the domain had expired, while others were accessing the site normally.

I ran CCleaner to clear cache etc., and tried three different browsers including Chrome and Firefox, all to no avail.

Same results this morning, until I ran a VPN connected to a UK server, and now I can access the site using Chrome via the VPN. However, I cannot access the site without the VPN, yet others don't have that problem.

Any idea why some have access and others don't?

Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk> posted

I can see it. I would guess that it's ISP related; your ISP is blocking the web site, or perhaps a range of IP addresses that includes the web site. Ask the other people who can't see it which ISP they are using.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Algernon Goss-Custard snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com posted

I should have added: Or the web site itself could be rejecting HTTP requests originating from a particular IP range.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

I can see it here as well. So it has to be something else like nameservers not having it or deliberate blocking or perhaps its doing some IP checking and pretending its not there to some addresses. Can you ping it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

One other suggestion.

In a Windows DOS prompt run

nslookup

This should tell you that the site's IP address is 80.82.119.4

If it doesn't, there's a problem with the DNS (domain name service) server that your ISP uses.

If it does, try browsing to https://80.82.119.4 and try pinging 80.82.119.4

Reply to
NY

Works just now (within the UK). So it's not expired from the root DNS servers. The whois record shows that the registrar registration has expired:

Updated Date: 2020-12-28T12:15:36 Creation Date: 2001-12-27T10:12:38 Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-12-27T10:12:38

The domain owner needs to get onto Easyspace and sort it out...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Was it definitely saying the certificate had expired, or could it have been some other certificate related message such as issuer not trusted, or certificate name doesn't correspond to server hostname?

If you view the site's certificate info (varies per browser, usually via the padlock) what does it say?

Reply to
Andy Burns

DNS entries are cached. in time all the other caches will expire. As far as I can tell it is now up to speed

The domain authority record is 24 hour expiry,but the A records are two days, so you might have to wait that long before whatever upstream DNS server you use clears and reloads its cache...

Its security certificate was reissued November 2020 and will expire in March, so i cant see that as a problem

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to

80.82.119.4. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

No, in an age of named sites the IP address alone no longer works

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er. Look again carefully...

...Updated Date: 2020-12-28T12:15:36 ...its just *BEEN* updated... ...Registration Expiration Date: 2022-12-27T10:12:38...for another *two years*.

The change simply hasn't caught up yet...for some people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <rsf1ok$veg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

Thanks for all the comments. I can now access the site normally, and the webmaster explained that the renewal had been paid on time, but presumably due to Christmas, the actual renewal was a little late. The actual renewal then took time to filter through, but now all appears to be well.

Reply to
Graeme

I get

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to

If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.

This domain name has expired

Reply to
alan_m

It has likely got an expired certificate and is using https: certificate seems to be good to 2/2/21 so maybe a temporary glitch was preventing some of you fetching it. FWIW don't see any faults right now.

I had the same issue with BCSS hosting for cactophile wbesites in November when the autorenewal on the security certificates failed.

Paranoid settings fault anything like that since there is a potential man in the middle attack going on. I reckon https tends to be a bit of a liability on hobby sites where no financial transactions occur.

Reply to
Martin Brown

All "Lets Encrypt" certs are short-lived, to encourage automatic renewal.

But it looks like the site owner left it until the last minute to renew the domain registration and came a cropper, it's easy to pay years ahead in most TLDs.

Reply to
Andy Burns

yes. renewal should be automatic but it does mean you have to open port

80 access as well as the HTTPS port. if you dont it's hard to renewew te certs. Which has nothiubg to do with this site, which does have a current security certificate and if you access it the proper way, it doesn't throw an error
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Too many 2's, 12's 27's and 28's ...

Unusual these days for DNS changes to take so long. Still depends on the cache timeouts of course but they seem to be much shorter in general than they used to be, hour's or less rather than days.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mmm. This isn't actually strictly a DNS timeout. Its that the whole NAME doesn't have an entry anywhere in the world, not that a given entry is 'stale'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Site access is only restricted to members, rather than location. Members with access are all over the world, particularly the Colonies.

Reply to
Graeme

This is where a browser set up for what the media call the dark web can come in handy. I do not know what is out there these days, since I have no good reason to visit such sites. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Sounds a little sloppy on behalf of the company. I know its only model trains, but what if it was some big international company who rely on their site? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa