Printers (again) Uncomplicated Inkjet AiO?

Of course thats a combination that doesnt exist. Cheap consumables means head built into printer, cheap printer means limited printhead life and not replaceable. I looked into it a few yrs ago. Go laser, inkjets are a reliability mare.

NT

Reply to
NT

"That means the inkjets are etched with a laser at the factory. It makes the ink waterproof, see if I rub the page against this window you've been licking, it doesn't smudge"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nowhere near as water resistant as the melted plastic used by lasers.

Reply to
dennis

Thermal printer, electrostatic printer ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

You won't get it!

The cheaper the printer the more expensive the inks, and vice versa.

Lasers are fast and running costs minimal. OTT for your needs but I splashed out on a Xerox colour laser, plenty good enough for cards but not photos and unbeatable for text. Toner is not cheap but you get LOTS of it, and double sided printing is an excellent feature.

Before that I had a little Epson B&W laser, I only upgraded because it needed a new fuser or something which cost 3/4 the price of a new printer, but the original one lasted years.

I've read good reviews of Samsung and Brother B&W lasers too.

Unless you specifically need colour that's what I'd go for.

NOT good for printing on envelopes though, the heat may melt the glue.

Reply to
Albert Ross

pulsating light-beam of death printer?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

stuck one in a loft for six months, took it out, turned it on, perfect print test. If you dont use an epson for a week or two it becomes a landfil job....

Reply to
Tired

I use DL envelopes with the tear-off strip over the (soft) glue and I haven't had a problem in years of use. Envelopes requiring moistening are also OK in my Brother laser, since they all go through with the flap shut so the glue is on the inside. The Brother laser also has a straight-through path when using the manual feed slot and rear ejection which helps prevent creasing.

It's probably better than using pre-punched stick-on lables, since the glue, if it it does flow when heated, might ooze out of the cutout slot. However these are marketed as suitable for lasers so there is a laser compatible glue available.

Reply to
John Weston

The trap many fall into is going from colour inkjet to colour laser. A colour laser may only be =A390... CYMK toner set can be =A390 with

1000-1600 page life... developer drum then hits you for =A3100 at some point. If the printer fails you might have =A3190 in consumables sunk into it.

For general office and occasional colour buy a monochrome laser + cheap colour inkjet. I think HP do a cheap inkjet with cartridges for about =A319-23 delivered on Amazon UK, useful for the odd colour work.

Reply to
js.b1

No. make that £240 for about 500 page life. HP CP1525....

Fortunately that's all in the above price.

If the printer fails you might have £190 in consumables sunk

well no. Color inkjets are really naff. The colors fade and they are not waterproof.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many new cheap lasers come with only a half charge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

this one says it came with full. on its diagnostic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

Got one of those M270, probably similar. An impulse purchase as they were stacked up at Tesco last year for £34.99. Only problem is the cost of replacement ink, but the scanner function is brilliant. It beats a more expensive HP dedicated scanner which I mistakenly bought. The scanner is easy to use and easy to adjust resolution for perfect results. I still use an old HP 5P laser for B/W stuff.

Reply to
johannes

Alas they are already other legitimate printer technologies...

Reply to
John Rumm

But don't worry, we have set the laser to stun!

Reply to
John Rumm

A bit of an over exaggeration IME...

I have an Epson 1290 Photo - had it for many years, and it only gets used once or twice per year. It normally needs one or two cleaning cycles to get it going again, but generally its not a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones that use pigment based (rather than dye based) inks can offer archival quality printing. Some companies suck as Lyson also do pigment ink upgrades for various printers which again solve the fading problem.

The other thing to keep in mind that while colour lasers are good for "business" colour, they can't compete on quality for glossy photo work.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but its a "full" lower capacity cartridge. Same applies to many printers where a set of consumables is more than the capital cost of the printer.

Reply to
John Rumm

The terms may be generally used in reference to different technologies but they are accurate descriptions of parts of the laser printing process too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

better results on my HP than any inkjet I've seen. Nearly as good as digital photolab.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher