Printer dilemma ..

Erm it's *if* I'm afraid Owain ;-(

My (IBM, b/w) laser is 11.5 years old and on its second toner

That sounds like good going? I think I have probably 3 HPLJ3/4's here .. they all (sorta) work .. just lock / jam on the 50 th sheet etc .. if I had some time or space I might see if I could make one sound one out of the lot?

The colour laser photo print quality has really improved in

I bet, just *way* out of my league at the moment (though I see how it could be cheaper in the long term ...).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have picked up cheap / been given some old LJ's but they all need some attention. I did have one on an Intel Netport (then a Jetdirect card) so we could all use it but because it was used so infrequently it was a paid going up into the spare room to turn it on, letting it warm up and then seeing how many sheets it printed before it jammed etc ;-(

LOL (they do don't they.) Mind you, I printed a couple of RC Laser race schedules (XL spreadsheets put into PDF's) today on my daughters C44 (I was working on her machine) and they came out ok (I shouldn't sound surprised should I but I don't trust Epsons yet ..)

Thanks for that ... I'll add that to my 'Inks' bookmarks in Firefox ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure about the 'prism that might not know the cart is there on not thing' .. but I am quite interested in the 4000 ... I love new 'toys' and ecpecially if they work hard and well .. just could find 100 better things to spend 82 quid on right now (like paying a bit of the credit card ..) ;-(

As you say .. quite a luxury. ;-) Mind you with a tiny bit of effort and printing from something that will let you print all the odd then even pages (Word, Acrobat etc) you can get double sided printing from any printer (with a few upside down pages possibly ) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:55:43 GMT, T i m strung together this:

Mine does that, but it's usually randomly after a couple of sheets rather than after any set amount. I think you can still get the feed roller repair kits which is usually the problem with repetitive paper jams on the older LJ's.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for that ;-)

Ok, well I have touched the 4000 in makro so I have a feel of it and like what I say (and felt) ;-)

Indeed ;-)

Hmmm .. www.dabs.c ... no .. I mustn't! ;-)

Well sort of .. I have just found an old black cart for the 850c and given it a bump start with a damp rag and I now have a black printer at least! (Yay! ).

Maybe I'll get a cheaper colour cart .. or .. www.da .. no .. ;-)

Cheers Jeff ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:03:40 +0000, Lurch strung together this:

After a quick look on eBay, , seems to be the kit required for $35. I might be inclined to order one myself if Google turns up nothing cheaper as the paper jamming is the only thing wrong with mine.

Reply to
Lurch

Don't you find it hammers the ink though John? I put two new carts in my daughters C44 and by the time we'd got it printing nicely the status mon told us the colour car was half empty (or was it half full) ;-)

And what I'm afaid of .. maybe they were a bad model ..?

And actually pretty good value .. I wouldn't like to drill all those nozzle holes and fit all them heater coils for 20 quid!

I think someone said we could say "the running costs *should* be low" .. as (he said) it's all down to the page yield rate / pound etc?

Ah, now *that* is good news John. The lady in 'Cartridge World' (see I know how to live ) said that certainly was the case for the pre ip seres of Canon's .. maybe theu just stopped doing it on the lower ones ..?

I found that on the one in makro .. When #I first pulled the tray out it looked too small to take A45 portrait. Then I extended the tray and it all made sense (in would then stick out the front but would be (as mentioned elswhere) pretty dust proof.

the

Might that be better for 'stiffer' paper / card?

and also a CD printing slot at

That *would* be a novelty ;-) I wonder if it's like the envelope printing feature on this DJ840c .. that I think I tried once when I first got it ....

3000 no, 4000 yes ;-)

Thattl do for me .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think I looked into that at the time ... even thought of turning the rollers down on the lathe and re 'skinning' them with some inner tube rubber (or summat) .. this is a DIY list after all ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

John Rumm wrote :- re : Canon IP3000

Have you a source / link for the above please ?

Regards Jeff

btw - I would recomend the ip4000 over the ip3000 as the 3000 uses BCI-6 colour carts and a BCI-3 black so photo prints have a glossy colour and matt black finish, whereas the 4000 has the extra BCI-6 black cart for photo work and only uses the BCI-3 black for text The difference between BCI-3 and BCI-6 is one is dye based and the other is pigment

Reply to
Jeff

I could go for one also (for 20 quid all in and he seems to be 'roller' man) .. if you ask him any questions (or find anything cheaper elsewhere), please let me know what he says?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Isn't there an issue with further nozzle blocking with dye rather than pigment based inks?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

about 40p each... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmmm, other way round I would have thought... just wondering if the Epson C82s were pigment based...?

Reply to
John Rumm

The ip4000 is 4 dye + a pigment black, the 3000 is 3 dye + pigment black

Hmmm - printer location, rhs is 6" from middle of bypass radiator (not ideal i know)

s550i = 4 pigment, if left for 2 weeks probably required 1 cleaning cycle

s560 = 3 dye + 1 pigment, mates printer but he runs it on all pigment based 'cos he went from 550i to 560i and didn't RTFM and its fine

my ip3000 = 3 dye + 1 pigment and is pretty much as my old 550i

I shall probably run my 3000 on all pigment when the original carts run out

check the price of replacement printheads before you count it as a benefit, my 550 only needs a new printhead but at £70 ish it made more sense to get a new printer

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are probably right John. I'm just a 'user' of the things really ;-)

If you can get both types on ink in the same sized (and interchangeable) carts then I suppose you can 'experiment' ?

I suppose 'low clog' might also be 'worst quality' (comparatively) and should mean 'cheapest' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Because heat dries them out faster (guessing?)

Live-with-able .. ;-)

Result ;-)

Because they are cheaper Jeff?

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to take the head out to clean it easier more than replacement as such? (Not an issue on the HP and quite awkward on the Epsons I have touched so far).

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

> How about 40p each... ;-)

Cheers John, some colours are 25p....... the few reviews are not that promising, but they also do inkrite which are ok for around the £1.20 mark which is a good price

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yep, thats what I think as well

No, because I can get all pigment with a 'big' black whereas the BCI-6 is the same size as the colour carts, this would not be a problem with the ip4000 as you would have CMYK dye based + a big K (black) pigment based for text use

Yes, I've done that before on the 550 after using poor quality carts, a good soak in hot water always did the trick

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The advantage of pigment over dye is longevity of the print, and resitance to fading (although prints with any ink will still benefit greatly from being behind glass). Given that pigments are often based on solid material however it is possible there is a correlation between pigment inks and clogging.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, cheers.

Result ;-)