Pressure washer buggered

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Did it freeze?

Reply to
John

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

Looks like a cast alluminium head? What make & model is it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd agree and I doubt there's any diy fix. Might be worth trying the manufacturer, see if they will supply a replacement part (although the price of PWs has come down quite a lot in recent years so it might not even be economically viable to try and repair it).

Reply to
The Wanderer

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wibbled:

A good rough up, degrease and stick a metal patch over it with metal-loaded epoxy (try Halfords) *might* do it. Worse it will do is fall off and not work(!).

Obviously welding the metal would be better, but if it's a case of try something simple or chuck it, 5 quid for a tube of epoxy and a bit of scrap metal is what I'd try...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Bum.

I think it is aluminium. It was a Freecycle special, originally from Homebase I think. Made in China. Not the best start in life!

Thanks chaps, I might try some metal epoxy gubbins. There again I might not :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I wouldn't use heat on aluminium that has the sort of criticality for dimensions.

Then if I had to, I'd go with a low-temperature process like Lumiweld, rather than welding it.

I would expect Dremel work to widen the crack a little, degreasing and then a filled epoxy (JB Weld etc.) would be enough. It's not rocket surgery.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wibbled:

That sounds like a better plan.

That's what I was thinking of - thanks for reminding me.

Reply to
Tim S

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow cured on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure and the cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high pressures like

10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No filler is going to be safe.
Reply to
Alang

Of course there is - this is a classic case for chemical metal or JBweld or car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is piss all energy in it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather misleading. In a situation where the pressure (say in a sealed vessel) isn't being maintained, the the pressure & flow will drop rapidly in the event of a leak. From a pumped source however, high pressure water can be very dangerous indeed.

You wouldn't want to stick your finger (or any part of your body for that matter) in the firing line of a jet washer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Gonna be more like 100 bar, more for a brief period when the trigger is closed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I once saw an air compressor cylinder head burst when water got into the system

The bit shown cracked does not have enough detail to say whether it is under any pressure from anything.

Reply to
Alang

Generally agree, but. DIY machines have piss poor flow rates & don't generate much power. Anything more than about 6" from the nozzle won't do much harm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Badge engineered Chinese jobby? You simply won't get any spares.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You aint gonna get any parts, so you might as well try it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yep. OTOH don't attempt to bodge your traction engine's boiler with JB Weld.

hehe

Reply to
Tim S

The crack is in the pressure manifold, thats under pressure all the time.

Hence "now there's water piddling out of that crack".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman