Powercraft/Wolf 720 watt generator fault

I can't see any diodes unless they are hidden inside the coils. The only thing in sight is a resistor between the two coils.

No signs of anything catching, rubbing, contacting or any other sort of *ing, except it won't *ing work.

Reply to
curls

Powercraft dealer/repair

correct one. I have a

Manuals for some of their product are here

Bob Minchin

Just in case anyone who replied is remotely interested, a pal took the generator to work and the electrician, who apparently "knows about generators", couldn't get it running any better than it was.

I decided not to bother keeping the engine, so in the interests of recycling, I'm thinking about hiding it in full sight in the allotment, as an appeasement to this months crop of travellers, who will no doubt discover it during one of their nocturnal excursions.

Reply to
curls

Hi Curls

I had the same problem, changed diodes etc and checked continuity on the windings etc, after some more probing i changed the capacitor (8uF

440v) and hey presto the genarator is working again, I got the new capacitor from Maplin Electronics
Order no: Motor run 440V 8uF RG64U at £3.43

The 2 diodes on the armature are hidden behind the resistior and are

1n5408 types that can be bought from Mode components for a very reasonable price

Hope this helps with your repair and gets you going if its not allready fixed and helps someone in the future to repair there genarator also

Chris

Reply to
Chris R

It sounds like the capacitor is faulty. Replacing the capacitor should fix your problem. If you need spares for Powercraft Generators we have them in stock. We are also happy to advise you on fault finding and repairing if you need it. To purchase parts please see our website.

Generator Guru Ltd.

spam spam spam spam

wonderful spam wonderful spam

Reply to
philipuk

Subject: Powercraft/Wolf 720 watt generator fault Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:07:59 +0100 Message-ID:

One has to admire your stellar customer service and speed of response, it only took you 7 years to reply. Goodness knows how long it would take to get the spares off the shelf, 10 years at least at that rate.

Reply to
Peter Parry

replying to Tim.., Mr Ian Clement wrote: Hi there hope you can help.I have replaced almost everything on this generator except the capacitor and the diodes I just cant find the diodes so I can test them .Can you tell me where they are located? I am at present driving the generator with a high speed drill and can only get approx. 5 volts output ,would faulty diodes or capacitor cause this Cheers ian C

Reply to
Mr Ian Clement

replying to Tim.., Mr Ian Clement wrote: Hi there TimI must say you seem toknow what you are talking about.I have replaced and tested everything on this 720 generator and I can still only get

7 volts A.C Output.I have ordered new diodes but cant find any markings on the old diodes to confirm which way they face ,are they both facing the same way? ie bands to the right or one left and one right?.I know I should have checked them when I removed them but I was in a bit of a bad mood. Hope you can help Cheers Ian C
Reply to
Mr Ian Clement