Power out

I have a barely used but fairly old router that won't start. It is a ProPlus 2050W.

I took the trigger guard off and found a switch that looks pristine: KEDU HY38B.

There is a brown and a black wire on each end of the block. Can I short them to see if the switch is duff?

If so how?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

PS.

The cover where the cable enters the machine is difficult to remove. Is there a catch hidden from sight? Or is it a state of the art to find out who has been having a do it himself bodge before I take it back. (Far too late and no receipt.)

There is a speed control wheel on the top. I presume this is the most likely culprit but that is in the housing above the top of the commutator.

I know they are cheap and in fact I have two other routers. But this one has a nice set of large bits I'd like to be able to use.

If push comes to shove, I will put it under a table with a separate switch. And ideas about that would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for the expert help.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

One caution I would make - even my cheap router has soft-start. If you tried turning it on with that shorted out, I imagine you'd get a heafty unexpected twisting force due to the sudden startup, which might result in you losing control of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Man I couldn't find my own thread!

So that switch block is the damp start? I've got two pairs of ubiquitous colours black and brown. Any ideas which is which? Can these blocks be obtained by the unwashed or is it cheaper to buy another router?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

,

doubt it somehow, that's probly done by the speed control electronics (assuming it has speed control?)...

does your router have a 2 part switch - i.e. you have to depress two buttons before it will start? if so could that be the explanation for the two sets of wires at one switch?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

No that's a safety catch. You press one and that allows you to press the other. That's pretty much a standard for all electric saws and stuff too.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue and have found the switch is one of the problems (the brushes are worn too). I bypassed the switch and the router started, so I'm confident it's the switch.

Reply to
timlenaertsraf

replying to Weatherlawyer, fred bloggs wrote: black to brown each end put meter on mine and switch not working took a note of switch model put back together and after a few presses of the on/off switch started clicking and was working again if switch has gone new switch, if you can get one a lot cheaper than a new router

Reply to
fred bloggs