Powder Or Ready Mixed?

I have asked a couple of questions on here regarding me doing a en-suite refurb for a neighbour, thanks for the answer guys (and galls). I am about to start grouting it all up and my question is ready mixed or powder? On the few occasions I have tiled my own rooms (kitchen, bathroom and en-suite) I have always used powder. My problem is if I follow the instruction regarding quantities of powder to water then the mixture is ALWAYS far too dry to use and not the required creamy consistency. I always have to add a bit more water to achieve the correct mix, although the instruction tell you not to do this as it will weaken the grout. I have had no problems in my own house but Sods Law says that if there is going to be a problem it will be in my neighbours and then I will look daft! For information I am looking at using Unibond Tile On Walls Waterproof Anti-Mould Grout and the packet states 4 volumes of powder to 1 volume of water (3Kg of grout requires approx. 750ml water.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Personally I always go for powder, and just mix until I arrive at the consistency I want.

Have you been measuring by volume or weight?

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what I do but always have to put more water in than instructed.

Volume, but as stated in my OP the Unibond bag says 4:1 (volume) but also

3Kg Grout to 750ml water.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Fishy unless the powder is the same density as water.

The Unibond pack says 4:1 by volume or 3Kg to 750ml by mixed weight and volume. Given that 1000ml of water weighs 1Kg, it is 3Kg to 3/4Kg which is the same ratio as 4Kg to 1Kg which is the same ratio given for volume.

Does a litre of grout powder weight 1Kg?

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson