possible damp problem?

hello all (again)

My kitchen is an extension (not brilliantly built I might add) knocked up in the 70's. Solid floor. I have lived here for 6 years, first time I've had to lift lino

Anyway, we have lino type flooring - cushioned plastic stuff. I pulled the washing machine out to have a clean and I pulled the lino back a bit to clean properly and noticed it was damp underneath. I lifted a larger patch and discovered the floor is wet underneath. It smells only very slightly musty. I dried it very easily with a hairdryer and I'm waiting to see if the dampness returns where there is no lino. Many years ago, my father told me that lino makes the floor "sweat". Is that true?

Reply to
Fray Bentos

FOUND THE PROBLEM

bloody hell. one of the flexible pipes has developed a leak where it goes into the fitting. It drips about once every 10 mins

I bet its been doing that for months. The water would have been dripping on to the skirting board and running under the lino.

darn it.

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Are you sure it's not a small leak from the washing machine? Perhaps the connector pipe hasn't been done up quite a tightly as it should have been.

Graham

Reply to
doozer

The pipe is dripping from where the pipe is crimped to the connector if that makes any sense.

Reply to
Fray Bentos

hehe. you can have all my old 'been there done that' t-shirts..

Basically if the floor stayed damp it means it probably HAS got a good DPM.

Leave it a few weeks before re-laying floor preferably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lots. check rubber washer, check tightness and replace bloody hose if it continues.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
kevin77