Posit: Electricity now cheaper than home heating oil

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:51:30 +0100, MM wrote:

er yeah? So a tank full (say 50l) currently costs 53, at 150p/l your looking at 75...
--
Cheers
Dave.

50 litres? Who the hell has a tank that small? I'm already paying 75 to 90 for a fill depending on when I get to the service station.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:32:54 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

It's a tad over 10 gallons... 10 to 15 gallons is the tank size on most normal "family cars" isn't it?
My motor has 90l (a shade under 20 gallons) tank, good for about 600 miles full to "running on air".

My average fill up cost this year is 78.46. Min 60.00 Max 95.00.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yep..I think that is what we are looking at. 100 a tank, rather than the 5 it used to be 'when I were a lad'.
Hey, a I cynical in thinking that the governments sudden fondness for nuclear power has something to do with the fact that they stand to make about 30bn from their stake in British Energy when it gets sold..
EDF or EON?
There's a nice old power station site right where its needed, in Battersea..plenty of cooling water, and potential Olympic sized heated swimming pool could be built alongside..as well as heating half of south London via waste water..Good transport links via the Thames as well.
Hmm.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:11:53 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
Eh? (Splutter!)
Only 1.5 million households in the UK do!!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/mar/16/householdbills.budget?gusrc=rss&feed=money
MM
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:53:32 +0100, MM wrote:

'Twas with tongue in cheek. But how many heat by Gas, 'lectric or solid Fuel? I've had a bit of a google but not found anything.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/mar/16/householdbills.budget?gusrc=rs s&feed=money
Inaccurate in a couple of places but what does one expect from a newspaper.
You can buy oil by installments, it's generally not offered as a method of payment as the price is, and always has been, rather volatile and not under control of the seller.
There is no "... 5 per cent duty on home heating oil for the elderly." or anybody else for that matter. There is no duty on home heating oil full stop. There is 5% VAT, just like all other domestic fuels.
--
Cheers
Dave.