Porch door in front of existing doors - PD & BR?

Relative has an existing porch.

- Ornate concrete arch over quarry tile floor, inset 5 large leaded stain glass windows around leaded stain glass solid oak door (inset about 2ft, never measured). Height overall about 2.9m.

- Existing U value is numerically equivalent to the gov't overdraft.

Under Permitted Development I believe I can...

- Add porch doors - arched window & slim double doors spring loaded inwards

- Subject to not touching the existing external door (new draught strip & brush letterbox)

What I am unclear on is BR...

- Can I laminate/laminate DG myself - or do I need to go BN or Fensa route?

I want toughened re risk of "broken glass cubes" on quarry tiles. Both her knees are gone re slip risk.

If I do need FENSA or BN it shoves the price up and I'll just buy her window film/panels & new thicker curtains (already got thermal linings, just the curtains are now paper thin). Sometimes I think bubble-wrap gaffa tapped to curtain hook tape would actually perform rather well as it flows better than thermal linings, but never mind :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Re part L, IIUC, you can "repair" without notification. That would include re-glazing, or reframing (but not both together. Hence I can't see any reason why secondary DG would be a problem. Following the general spirit of they way BR are implemented, you certainly won;t be making it any worse.

I would have thought you needed laminated then? Toughened will shatter into cubes etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Noted.

Sorry, yes, I meant laminated.

Unfortunately she also wants new curtains - typical :-) So it will be new curtains this winter, building new porch door if time.

Reply to
js.b1

Well decent lined curtains are not to be underestimated... probably do more for your u values than an extra sheet of glass.

Reply to
John Rumm

Now ordered, floor to ceiling :-)

Lined curtains so that creates an extra air pocket, with thermal linings behind.

The top part of the window could easily be window-film or acrylic panel. Just hunting down a suitable moulding which can be painted to suit.

Reply to
js.b1