Polystyrene coving

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tesco only lists one - Tomor Margarine - on its pricecheck site.

Margarine is defined in law as the product obtained from vegetable and/ or animal fats with a fat content of more that 80%, but less than 90%. It is a solid emulsion of water in oil. Margarine has to be produced in accordance with the Spreadable Fats (Marketing Standards) Regulations 1995.

Margarine must contain certain ingredients in certain quantities: =95 Fat content =96 minimum 80%, but less that 90% =95 Milk fat content =96 maximum 3% of total fat =95 Vitamin A =96 940-960 IU per ounce (800-1000=B5g per 100g) =95 Vitamin D =96 80-100 IU of vitamin D per ounce (7.05-8.82=B5g per 100g)

Spreads have a similar composition to margarine but are usually lower in fat. For example, low fat spreads (defined as a spread with 40g fat/

100g) and some spreads which contain 75% fat cannot be called margarine as they do not meet the minimum fat level requirement. Water is used to bulk out these spreads. Very low fat spreads are unsuitable for frying and baking but they are suitable for spreading directly out of the refrigerator. Spreads may also be fortified (e.g. with vitamin A and D) at levels similar to margarine, although this is not required by law.

(from qi.com)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing what the food industry can get away with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Errm, no need for the pinch of salt, that's how it's made.

Look up "pomace oil" and "lampante" for details. Extracted with steam and hexane, considered unfit for human consumption by most authorities, but it finds its way into food by the cunning trick of being designated "fit for human consumption".

Steve Firth

Nope, I stick to butter these days.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Pete Verdon wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 01:45

Yep - butter is natural...

I do hold marg (my definition) in the fridge for my son whom milk products disagree with. Found Bertoulli (sp) pretty good - seems to cook well and tastes OK (for marg).

Reply to
Tim W

MRM.

Mechanically recovered meat.

Pressure wash all the shit off the bones, and make pies with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and olive oil is not?

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:54

Is it really much different to boiling the bones for stock and broth? But this is the difference between a non cheap steak pie and a 49p Happy Shopper pasty...

Reply to
Tim W

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:55

Not when it's been hydrogenated - I'd call that an artificial process. Although I realise that not all spreads have been hyrdrogenated - some are just an emulsified blend of random things.

Reply to
Tim W

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

Accompanied by a wodge of cash in a brown envelope "From Uncle Tony", somewhere along the line, I've no doubt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Although when I checked up on Olivio, the hydrogenated oil is, IIRC, soybean oil not olive. Doesn't for one moment change the general ideas just a specific detail.

Reply to
Rod