PMSL

Him... Is it a BOC bottle. Me... Yes it is. Him... Do have an account with us. Me... No. Him... If you have one of our bottles you must have an account with us. Me...Oh,in that case so must the scrapyards.

Duh!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Funnily enough I wanted a gas bottle the other day - no particular type, I just wanted to cut it open to make a chininea sort of thing. Local dump was very obliging but didn't have any completely empty at the moment - but he said he'd put one aside for me.

Reply to
Guy King

Good for burning small rubbish in the garden.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What's the best way to cut one of these up safely?

If they end up at the "local dump", why aren't they returned to their owners? The bottles are worth money. Calor were donating £5 to charity for every "lost" bottle returned, a while ago.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hadn't heard of the Calor scheme, but apart from that, usually you can't simply take them back for a cash refund, you can only use them on an exchange basis when you want a full cylinder.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Ideally a plasma cutter, but a drill, grinder and hacksaw will do.

I'm happy to slip 'em a couple of quid to slip one out of storage before they go back to the gas firms. I just missed an aluminium one they'd had in the cage for a couple of years 'cos none of the gas firms would take it. In the end it went into the ally recycling bin.

Reply to
Guy King

On one of my fire training courses, there was a picture of a guy who tried to cut an empty one open with an angle grinder. He didn't survive, but at least it looked like it was over for him very quickly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Yes. Right.

Actually, I do have more sense than to do it before releasing the pressure, removing the valve, filling with water then emptying.

I do realise this is not the case with everyone!

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

The nearly flat casing of an *empty* acetylene cylinder landed 200m from the farm fire here that launched it. The brigade were rather anxious to know if there were any more.

Mind you, I watched the scrappies cut up a 3000l diesel tank using oxy/propane. Just a tame little fire from the residual fuel.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So just go at it? I was thinking of removing the valve, and running the hose from a steamer into it for a while...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

See previous post!

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

Yep. take the valve off and fill it with water before cutting. Dead safe that way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I'd rather empty it again before cutting!

Reply to
Guy King

Aha. So, cut it while it's as full as possible with water. A bit like pressure testing.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

Yep. I just fill and flush them a couple of times then refill to an inch or so below the line of cut.

Another useful container that's everywhere is the humble beerkeg. Very handy in stainless.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Has anyone succeeded in halving one? I tried oxy-acetylene cutting and angle grinder neither of which worked very well.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

Plasma cutters make short work of 'em - failing that the best bet is cobalt bladed jigsaw. Stainless is a bastard to grind.

Reply to
Guy King

Plasma cutter is very effective on stainless, I've not come across a ss beer keg.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The message from AJH contains these words:

They all are now and have been for years. The alloy ones wandered off to frequently, being worth a fair bit in scrap.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb saying something like:

I've not had any real problem with a 9" cutting disc. Were you using a smaller one?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon