plumbing up cast iron radiator

I have rashly gone and bought an old cast iron radiator which I think will look good in my old house, but I didn't carefully examine it first. It's got two threaded fittings which appear to be cast iron either side at the base. I'm presuming I can go out and buy modern brass valves which will screw into these.

I'm concerned about the threaded fitting on one side since half of the hexagonal nut used to tighten it up has snapped off. I don't want to use any more force than necessary to get it out, that's if it will come out. Any tips?

Reply to
andyv

Fancy posting a picture somewhere?

Modern radiators invariably have 1/2" BSP threads, and valves are also 1/2" BSP, so that the tails screw straight in.

Old cast iron radiators usually have larger threads - maybe 1" or 1 1/2" BSP - so you'll need to find out what size they actually are, and use an adaptor. You'll obviously need to remove whatever is currently screwed in. If it's badly mangled, try holding it (the fitting) in a vice, and rotating the whole rad to unscrew it. [May need two people, if it's heavy!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

think

The 'native' thread in the cast iron rads will be 2" BSP female. Remove any fittings screwed in and get a 2" to 1/2" reducer bush which takes you to modern radiator size.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

*If* it's heavy! My God ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Putting little modern pipes into it is obviously going to look crp. To make it look sensible you'll need to use original size pluimbing down to the floorboards, under there you can convert to 15/22/whatever. And obviously any attached bits of plumbing that can be repaired/used should be if possible.

Beware of leaks between the iron sections. If leaky its time for car head gasket & hermetite. And dont even think about not bolting the thing to the wall or floor.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Used radiators need to be leak tested before install

Reply to
ransley

If this is a sealed system then you will be adding significantly to the total system volume. One might be OK but a few radiators will soon leavinf you with the need for an additional expansion vessel.

A picture would help as there are a number of reproduction units around which are not quite the same as the original types.

Reply to
Ed Sirett