Plumbing - can anyone identify what this is?

I am not sure that is the case. As far as I can recalll you merely need one open pipe per 50 meters or something of drain, to vent positive pressure.

Air valves can be then added wherever neded to prevent siphoning.

Well my parents house in 1953 had exactly that arrangement.

BCO's can be surprisingly ignorant.

Mine was not aware that

- if you use guttering you must comply, but there is no requirement to use guttering at all! Merely that there mus be wome means of stopping water getting onto your walls..

- you don't need safety glass in a multi-paned French window (leaded) and indeed, it can't be realistically cut that small either.

In every case the regulations section begins with a 'statement of objective'. Whilst suggested methods of achieving those are outlined, often in detail, in the final analysis, you can appeal to the spirit of the regulations. It is up to you to demonstrate that your solution achieves the OBJECTIVES.

In the case of drains, these are a sufficient flow rate to keep them running freely, a provision to prevent build up of noxious and combustible gases, and a provision to prevent these gases from appearing inside the dwelling.

Any combination of slopes and pipe diameters and vents and u-bends and traps and durgo valves that achieves this 'meets the regulations'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not about separation of the drainage but making sure that grey water goes directly to below the gully cover and not via hoppers, downpipes, shoes and the gulley grating.

As I said 50% of buildings must be non-compliant.

She probably does (in regard to both verbs).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's a most useful commentary on the regs. Thanks.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The AAV is too low it must be above the highest point were water drains from. It needs to be extended, or on each sanitary appliance fit a dry HepVO trap, which are AAVs in themselves.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Cap it off using an inspection cap, so the drain can be cleaned. Then fit a HepVo trap on the sink.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is too low.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Learn about HepVo traps.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Must be open vented and every 5th house vented too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, pre-war I am fairly sure that the byelaws prohibited single stack drainage, basins, baths and sinks being required to discharge via a gulley. From 1965 the [then] new Building Regulations required all waste pipework to be inside, effectively requiring single stack drainage.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Bad advice to cap off. Think before giving advice, could cause more problems. Probably comes up in 4" for a reason. Could be a tee off from a toilet waste for instance.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

I was under the impression that all that was on the stack was the kitchen sink.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel