Plastering for humans

but not under "plastering plasterboard"...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not at all

Reply to
Phil L

Why? It's obvious PB doesn't need PVA'ing, but it needs to be scrimmed up, my tips were generalisations - make sure the wall is ready

Reply to
Phil L

so you advocate plastering plasterboard with more than 1 coat? bollox pal

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Oh? I've always PVA'd plasterboard, probably because I'm PVA'ing the rough brickwork next to it at the same time.

Depends on the plasterboard. Yes, normally it would do in one coat, but if you have irrelugarites you need to do (an) initial coat(s) to level up so you can do a full topcoat.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

"probably"? definitely - PVA is not required for plasterboard.

but in a wiki entry only a fool would advocate starting the job with the "intention" of doing two coats on plasterboard hence my comment.

As is shurely obvious the time to spend wisely is in the prep of the surfaces, aligning the plasterboards so there are as few "irregualrities" as possible, scrimming up etc.......

much like painting the bit you see really is just the icing on the cake.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Is it always necessary to plaster over plasterboard to achieve a decent finish? Just seems daft to a lay observer (me), when filling and smoothing the joins might do.

I was hoping to fit some plasterboard backed insulation sheets under the eaves of an attic room and save on plasterer costs.

Incidentally, what's scrimming? I take it it's not:

it's not anyway :-)

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Filling the joints is acceptable, the (huge) problem arises when, in the future, someone sticks wallpaper to it, then subsequent stripping is impossible and destroys the face of the plasterboard

adhesive that sticks over the join in plasterboards to reinfoce the plaster and prevent cracking

Reply to
Phil L

It's up to the individual, but applying two coats makes for an easier and smoother finish on all surfaces, including plasterboard, and it's the norm in the trade to give it 2 coats

Reply to
Phil L

mmm and charge the customer accordingly for IMO unnecessary work & materials.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

There's less work involved giving it 2 coats as it takes less time to get it flat and smooth, this is why everyone does it, yes it may cost the customer an extra fiver in plaster, but it's saved them half a day's labour charges

Reply to
Phil L

has a gap before a join to a sloping roof, it would have been a huge job getting the new bit of sloping plasterboard lined up with the existing slope, so I made it as good as possible, then put a first wedge-shaped coat along the bottom four inches, then an hour later a second coat which went the full width to meet the existing ceiling.

Now, how do I replaster the ceiling and wall that have been wallpapered directly onto bare board...? Grr...

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Urban dictionary is interesting, amusing, disgusting, and lots else. But I keep wondering whether there are post-heavy drinking parties where people compete to outdo each other in unbelievability of new entries. Heaven knows what the prize would be... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

eh?? how can it take less time to get the final coat flat and put an undercoat on? remember the stuff sets up in 45mins....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

easy get off what you can PVA and skim it (aiming for one coat unless you are on the make)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I've been plastering on and off for 30 years and I know that it takes twice as long to get one coat flat than it does with two coats, everyone else knows this too, so this is what they do, you don't have to if you don't want, and if you've only got a few patches to do, then it's fine to do it in one, but when you've got several rooms and ceilings to do, or even full houses, everything gets two coats, it gives you more time to first coat new walls, IE mix 1 - first coat a ceiling mix 2 - first coat 2 walls in a different room mix 3 - second coat ceiling and first coat another wall mix 4 - second coat first two walls mix 5 - second coat third wall and so on

Reply to
Phil L

Great. Consider it done.

meow2222

Oh put your rattle down big boy

but that doesn;t make any sense tho does it?

putting two coats of plaster on gives you "more time"..... how?

I've replastered 90% of my place after insulating with insulated plasterboards. I skimmed all of it with one coat and have no issues.

The builders I hired to do a concentrated "knock hell out of a large chunk" also skimmed pboard with one coat - no issues.

Seems you may still choose to believe all the apprentice shit that gets/got perpetuated by "trade bodies", FMBunglers, masons greedy "pro's" etc - work practices that were either overkill (=A3=A3 kerching) or based on old school "how we always dun it" (i.e. as per no pboard

- bare brick bonding & skim coats or would you do 3 here too ?)

No excuse to put bonding coats on pboard so mmm lets think up another way to keep the costs up - oooh I know..........double the work load - wahey the lads...

bilders - don;t you just love em? ;

Reply to
Jim K

done.http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Plastering_tips>> NT