plasterboard in skips

Someone in the buildng trade told me you're not allowed to put plasterboard in skips any more, since its harzardous waste for landfill. It wasn't 1st april. Can this be true ? What about left over plaster, such as great lumps of bonding left over from a job ? What are you supposed to do with it ? Will they refuse it at the local tip. ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

sm_jamieson coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's rubbish (no pun intended).

Plasterboard is not hazardous. It's carboard and gypsum (CaSO4+random water). Cardboard is, well, cardboard. And you dig gypsum in to help granulate clay soil (well, unset gypsum ideally, but it goes off once down there).

Besides, even if the reasoned argument above were not enough, I have a skip containing plasterboard now - nothing on the sheet about that.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

AIUI skips must be used for a single waste type, builders waste, green waste, domestic etc - skip operators are charged a considerable premium for mixed waste.

As far as I'm aware, plasterboard is completely non-hazardous. Cambridgeshire in fact have special plasterboard skips at their recycling centres, so that it can be sent off, ground down, and reused.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Just found this.

sm_jamieson

Quite so. I disposed of some offcuts quite recently in a skip and although the driver had a rummage, he didn't mention the p'board.

Reply to
Huge

RubberBiker coughed up some electrons that declared:

I wouldn't say "considerable". My local operator does do discounts for, say a skip of clean hardcore - but the discount turns out to barely be worth it to me unless I can fairly well predict that I will produce, say 4 yards or

6 yards of concrete in one session - and I'll still need a mixed skip for all the other crap that's coming out too.

I've just taken an update on my local prices (all inc VAT):

Mixed =====

4 yard £161 = £40/cu yard 6 yard £195 = £32/cu yard 8 yard £253 + extra per ton over 2 tons = £32/cu yard

Hardcore ========

4 yard £130 = £32/cu yard 6 yard £160 = £27/cu yard

Note, the whacky extra-per-ton doesn't apply to 4 and 6 yard skips.

So that shows that the only way it's even break-even for me to be green is that I have 4-6 yards of clean hardcore, which must be very clean. A slice of earth on the bottom of odd bits is OK, but large lumps of earth isn't.

Assuming I have the space for two 6 yard skips, enough concrete and bricks to fill one and accept the extra aggravation of grading the materials, then get a discount. But as you can see, it's barely worth the effort economically.

Having chopped a tree down, the skip bloke can actually park two skips on my drive now (not everyone has such luxury), and when I hire a digger, I will probably book a 6 yard hardcore only to go with my 6 yard mixed. But up until now, whilst mixed skips are more expensive than they used to be, it's not worth the messing around to try to be clever.

Now, if a hardcore skip cost say 50 quid for a 6 yard (because "they" are making money selling on the material) then I might consider it.

Seems to be a lack of joined up thinking somewhere along the line...

OK, house demolition is a more promising arena, but at those comparative prices, would a demolition company even bother?

That's good to hear.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

A quick ring around has yielded 120 inc for about 5 yards of concrete/bricks (owner operator with a 7.5 ton vehicle, so can't quite pick up 6 yards).

OK - 120 is better - I'll do that for mine as I'm expecting 4-5 yards to come out the ground - but it's only possible because I've got some logistical things in my favour.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It's dated 1 april. Couldn't be a fool could it ? Surely they would have removed it by now.

It says: In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, as of 1 April 2009, the Environment Agency and Northern Ireland Environment Agency have revised their policies for disposing of gypsum waste to landfill. Previously, waste containing less than 10% gypsum could be sent to landfill. The environment agencies have removed this guideline value.

In England and Wales, if you send waste containing any amount of gypsum to landfill it must now go to a separate cell for high sulphate waste.

In Northern Ireland, if you send non-hazardous waste containing any amount of gypsum to landfill it must now go to a separate cell for high sulphate waste or to a non-hazardous landfill where no biodegradable waste is accepted. You must dispose of gypsum-based materials that are classified as hazardous waste in a hazardous waste landfill.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No. I had an email about it some months ago.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"gypsum-based materials that are classified as hazardous waste" does not describe plasterboard. Gypsum can be used to set some liquid haz wastes into relativelysafe lumps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hide the dangerous plasterboard under the astbestos at the bottom of the skip :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why is it that more and more official regulations can be mistaken for april fools ? Says something surely. You listen to the news and it could be "brass eye". Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That's probably why Barratt have alledgely been telling their builders to stuff rubbish such as plasterboard into the cavity walls, so they don't have to dispose of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hah hah hah. But that would break all sorts of building regs. Anyway cavity widths are increasing - lots more space for the plasterboard offcuts. A common place is under the bath. There's usually bricks and all sorts under there. And lots of building work involves digging a soakway these days. Just dump all the plasterboard at the bottom. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hah hah hah. But that would break all sorts of building regs. Anyway cavity widths are increasing - lots more space for the plasterboard offcuts. A common place is under the bath. There's usually bricks and all sorts under there. And lots of building work involves digging a soakway these days. Just dump all the plasterboard at the bottom. Simon.

Don't laugh -

Franko

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hehe

Funnily enough, that's exactly what the skip company told me to do with the old broken telly I wanted to chuck.

They don;t really care - I suspect it's all down to whether their driver gets a bollocking at the landfill...

Reply to
Tim S

Look East young man, look East.

It stems from the EU Landfill Directive which requires gypsum waste (eg plasterboard) to be put in separate "cells" at landfill sites. Had to be implemented by 2009 by all member states.

Of course, levels of compliance/enforcement activity may differ.

Reply to
neverwas

But its sure to put the cost of skips up. I'm glad I started my building work when I did (a year or so ago). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Many of the skip operators have "waste transfer stations" where they empty skips on receipt (or at least those with mixed or general building waste) and then sort the contents sufficiently to allow them to repack the ones that go to landfill more cheaply.

Reply to
John Rumm

PB can simply be put in the ground, its entirely harmless and plant friendly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222