Plaster undercoat for bathroom tiling?

Ok

It was a *bad* idea to get WIFI here at the bungalow. I can bug you all sh*tless all the time and do no actual work :)

Anyway...

Just knocked the skim off the bad walls in the new bathroom.

According to my 6' straightedge, I need to fill in some areas (which are back to brick between otherwise very sound undercoat) to depths varying between 1/2" and 1 1/2" (!!) thick (bent wall again).

In a couple of places, there are slight hollows on the undercoat, which would ne nice to flatten, though tile adhesive could be made to handle these.

I'm not bothered about skimming as I'll be sticking tiles all over this lot and less layers the better IMO.

So - what would be the best undercoat plaster to use? I want to slap it on and rule it off flat, mostly using the existing plaster as a guide (except for hollows previously mentioned).

Finish is irrellevant as long as tile adhesive sticks to it :)

I assume with the 1 1/2" deep area, 2 coats would be a better bet?

Is this a time to be using plastering sand (never added that to any plaster before)?

Thanks in advance as always!

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

'One-coat' plaster is good for this purpose. It's easy to work, has a good open time and lasts well in the bag for future use. Wickes do a good one. As you say, you'll need two coats in the deeper hollows despite the name, to prevent excessive sagging.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'd use 'one coat'. Can be used to near any depth - although the thicker it is the longer it will take to dry. It also keeps quite well after the bag is opened, unlike other stuff. Also includes instructions for use on the bag. Wicks stuff seems pretty good price wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Main thing is that plaster is a lot cheaper than tile adhesive, so it pays to roughly flatten the wall first.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks to all; OneCoat it is...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to